Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

applying for CA HOV stickers with temp plates

Gigaron

Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
Confirming....you applied for CAV decal using the paper-temp plate and DMV accepted this and sent you decals BEFORE you received your permanent plates and formal registration info? I just posted this earlier, before discovering this thread:

Has anyone found any tricks to speed up the process of applying for a CAV decal?​
  1. Has anyone successfully submitted an application with the TEMPORARY paper plate license?​
  2. Any tips on getting a permanent license plate number to apply?​
The epitome of "bureaucracy" - I've had decals for 7 years, I finally buy a 100% electric, and now stuck for 2+ months unable to use the HOV lane? California should find a way to issue upon PURCHASE of a CAV - or....speed up the process and charge us 10x the cost to get the decal.​
Help save 1000's of us a billion hours of wasted time getting across the Bay Bridge! Or did I miss something in how to speed this up?​
Hmmmm.... I did just this last August and the application got kicked back 3 months later stating that I needed permanent plates first. I got my plates in November and waited until Jan 1 and tried again. And my application got kicked back 3 months later stating that the check was more than 90 days old and to try again. WTF!?

wstamaria

Aug 23, 2018
Diamond Bar, CA
I Submitted for my wifes Y using the Temp Plate Number in January. (Thinking it was the same number as the Perm Plate, Of course it isnt) Expected the the form to be sent back. Called DMV and explained the situation and they said that it will likely be sent back. About a week later the check was cashed, then a few weeks later the stickers came. The registration card that came with the stickers had our correct permanent plate number on them.

Not sure how it was corrected. Maybe i got a good processor that just hooked me up and fixed my mistake, or maybe the phone technician fixed it for me and didnt say anything? Im not too sure, but it sounds like i got lucky.

Sacramento

2021 Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Mar 13, 2021
Sacramento, CA
I Submitted for my wifes Y using the Temp Plate Number in January. (Thinking it was the same number as the Perm Plate, Of course it isnt) Expected the the form to be sent back. Called DMV and explained the situation and they said that it will likely be sent back. About a week later the check was cashed, then a few weeks later the stickers came. The registration card that came with the stickers had our correct permanent plate number on them.

Not sure how it was corrected. Maybe i got a good processor that just hooked me up and fixed my mistake, or maybe the phone technician fixed it for me and didnt say anything? Im not too sure, but it sounds like i got lucky.
I had the same experience, although I submitted the HOV application with just the VIN because I got tired of waiting for the permanent plates. I wrote the check on Feb. 14, DMV cashed it on May 5 and the decals arrived May 8. As in your case, DMV filled in the permanent license plate information.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC