Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A run in with the law...has this happened to anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It happened again! :frown:
I was never ever stopped by the police before. Since I have the Roadster everytime I see the police I already know: "Not again, they're gonna stop me..."
Again yesterday. I'm always a bit uncomfortable being controlled and I'm never sure if I was going too fast or not. With the Roadster you are above the speed limit in a time of a sneeze.

I stayed in the car while they controlled the papers and when the police officer came back and asked "Is this all electric?", I knew I'd have to get out of the car and open the trunk. At the end of the talk a Model S flyer changed owner. :biggrin:

Dragon,

you should offer them a ride. When they accept, ask for the roof bar with the blue lights. "I'm afraid we need these if you want a real ride..."
320px-Lamborghini_Polizia.JPG

Demonstration

I was driving and pulled along side a police car here in Long Beach. While moving, the cop asked what type of car it was. I told him and said it was "real fast - want to see". Since we were approaching a 1/4+ mile of open road the cop said "Go For It". I punched it and went from 20mph to 60mph. At the next stop light he pulled along side and said - sure is fast!. I turned onto the freeway and that was it.

That's a $460 fine in Norway... $640 if it's 16-20km/h over.
Luckily there are some safety margins. The speedometer usually underrepports by 5-10% and the safety margin is something like 5-10% as well. I've never gotten a ticket when driving around 85-88 km/h (on the GPS) in an 80-zone, while the speedometer shows around 95 km/h. If the cops say you were going at 16 km/h over the speed limit, you were probably going 20-25 km/h over the speed limit, and your speedometer would have shown something like 30-35 km/h over the speed limit.

Also, they never stop people who are just following the traffic, they only stop the worst offenders. If you're just following traffic at X km/h over the speed limit, the thing to look out for is speed cameras, because they will ticket everyone. (Though usually traffic flows past a speed camera at something like 20% under the speed limit.)

This sounds like a fairly close representation of the way the speed limit is enforced in Ontario...[QU OTE=Yggdrasill;219581]Luckily there are some safety margins. The speedometer usually underrepports by 5-10% and the safety margin is something like 5-10% as well. I've never gotten a ticket when driving around 85-88 km/h (on the GPS) in an 80-zone, while the speedometer shows around 95 km/h. If the cops say you were going at 16 km/h over the speed limit, you were probably going 20-25 km/h over the speed limit, and your speedometer would have shown something like 30-35 km/h over the speed limit.

Also, they never stop people who are just following the traffic, they only stop the worst offenders. If you're just following traffic at X km/h over the speed limit
, the thing to look out for is speed cameras, because they will ticket everyone. (Though usually traffic flows past a speed camera at something like 20% under the speed limit.)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
In parts of the US, the police use exotic cars that were confiscated in drug busts as advertisement vehicles. Just say no!

I came across one of those confiscated drug bust cars used as a police advertisement in Concord California driving down 680, the guy was driving like such an ass.... he was in a newer Mustang GT... looked like madmax a little with a light bar on top. He was roaring up on my tail so I gave him a good 'ol brake check! I was doing the 65mph posted speed. Pissed him off, he roars over to my drivers side, slows down, and gives me the stare down. Then punches it and does a three lane (left to right) full crossing across traffic to take the off-ramp.

So I'm all down for having fun in cars, but use your head! Don't tailgate, don't cross traffic in one swipe on a congested highway, and if you want to open up the car do it where you're not endangering others. Lastly don't do all the above if it has your town's name and the word POLICE painted across the side of your car!

I called up the police that was plastered on the car, they mentioned that it was a "DARE" / "say no to drugs" car that they display at schools. The dispatcher asked if I want a Sergeant to call me back, I said yes. Did I ever receive a call back. NO!

It happened again! :frown:
I was never ever stopped by the police before. Since I have the Roadster everytime I see the police I already know: "Not again, they're gonna stop me..."
Again yesterday. I'm always a bit uncomfortable being controlled and I'm never sure if I was going too fast or not. With the Roadster you are above the speed limit in a time of a sneeze.

I stayed in the car while they controlled the papers and when the police officer came back and asked "Is this all electric?", I knew I'd have to get out of the car and open the trunk. At the end of the talk a Model S flyer changed owner. :biggrin:

Hi Dragon. Happy to meet you on TMC. I am Italian too. Feel free to PM me to exchange our experience on Tesla Roadster also if my experience, unlike yours, is very little. For the time being I tested only once the Roadster in Milan and I have been amazed!

Kind Regards from Rome :)

Raffy