Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A sudden, inexplicable 300+ mile range on an 85D? Please explain!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always set my 85D, which as we all know has a stated maximum range of 260 miles, to charge to 90 percent of its capacity, or about 240 miles as recommended. This afternoon after arriving home from work, a 2-mile trip, I plugged in my Tesla wall charger and noticed it was at already at a whopping 277 miles. After 45 minutes, the fully charged battery was at 303 miles, 90 percent of the maximum! This is a 2015 85D, which I purchased in June as a CPO, and the car has run flawlessly.

Of course, I'm skeptical of this new 300-mile figure. It should be noted, before getting out of the car, I was playing with the settings, and took if off "range mode". A few minutes later, thinking that change might have something to do with the increased battery capacity, I turned it back on but the higher number remained. Can anyone explain this sudden, increased distance on a Tesla that's only supposed to provide a maximum of 260 miles? We all know if something seems too good to be true, it usually is. So what gives?

fullsizeoutput_25bd.jpeg