Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Tesla Mid-range Model 3 In Michigan's Upper Peninsula

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I did this as kind of a challenge to myself. I decided to see if we could make it to Tahquanamen Falls State Park in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and back after leaving from the Muskegon area.

Going north the last SC was in Gaylord - 138 miles from our destination. We would need to charge up somewhere on the trip - but where.

A little research told me that there were Level 2 chargers in Mackinac City and the Adoba Hotel in Naubinway had one Level 2 charger. I decided to call the hotel to see if we could reserve their one charger (didn't want to get there and find someone else had it) and yes they said they would reserve it if we spent the night. We did (nice place) and they did. No charge for the charging. We headed back to Gaylord with a full charge. Yay!

BTW We did stop in Mackinac City and found the Tesla chargers but had to pay $5 to get into the parking lot and they were very slow - 15 miles/hour. I'm not sure if I ever got charged by Tesla for the 20 minutes I was there.

0Eftqhrx3no30Z6xoeONQcGVTsIx4vTavssszILmKrRUsj3ruWsAcxnHazjSNSr4NYXuk31HLO3qyJoXtNn4AWekuTTPDUafRCydQu73-kSEeFvanGGHNRPgE1hIDW9L7QrWrSmRLluek5zn-flDIrepOcIgGkrtqAXmFBsxARAFqTm0jXehYC_myPvX-vbsQcQUTxPoRUln2FsTOnFK05QvAtVWmCusJLsDmqtoQw_UUQ7ZzDBpsl_as6zpw7ZzqtXTRMox8It-Au9nRaADrFKDqyOsnFDOmfClNYtl4HNPtRbYfug-aDrF8R6h-zqBWViWxGgmN7iejMJl7f4N7XdOppr8zybpEG8CiEsSXJdrCk5q9kDE4OD2ATrWKOXSTxSKcIpWL0qVm2gubxO3fEsaPFmjuxjFyyly8eBnfVR2rMl1tW5ft9PB75MWLOAx3Nt023V_55OTxIMgi_OaeHx_x5UioYtiEspSKAubEElV2xuwYQXl-cBuz03G82jFo28EHU_rhla8KhWBf064NYhNf22ljUHe3XoVpmTZCorFooBpru1WxYixBU65ayP9LkmSK9tQj9rxQmQ_hQ4dDz3IE2Zhqx6y-b6Jk69XTpbTYnc9ELBq86GUcjsSQE4zVdz5hfgQW9Klo9tmZZDypA1qCYhg5fEh4sUpRagBDFqTyszPZRVOT60=w1092-h614-no

Tesla has installed some level two chargers as destination chargers as well, and they don’t charge for those.. but maybe the settings inside the charger were wrong and limited the current into your car. Tesla contracted my company to put some chargers in at First Landing State park in virginia beach a couple of years ago before i owned a model three... I was out there the other day using them :D

My husband and I are heading out on a road trip from Phoenix next week and really want to go through the Upper Peninsula (from east side of Lake Michigan and then heading southwest from the UP). We did a 10,500 mile car camping trip last summer in our mid-range Model 3 to hit the states we hadn't visited (yay, got to 50!), and did not go through UP because of concerns about charging. We will be coming from the Ludington charger, then Gaylord and Mackinaw City before we hit the "dead zone" of charging in the UP. We would like to spend 2-3 days in the UP, so any advice about camping with electric hook-ups, plug share, destination chargers, or ANY other advice is much appreciated. Thanks, I am new to the forum and this is my first post.