Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner--'23 Model 3 standard. First charge-charging door wouldn't shut.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings. New owner of a new '23 Model 3 standard I picked up on Jan 4th. Traded a Bolt EUV.
Oddly enough, the color silver (really a purplish gray) is the same color as my trade!

The buying process seems to rely mainly on the Tesla App on your cell phone, and I had to go to the dealer to complete that.
A lot simpler for verification purposes.

What's a bit weird to me is you really can't phone the dealer near you. You wind up with someone in Las Vegas.

I was able to "purchase" my car online--or at least reserve it--on my Imac. The rest of it was finished at the dealer.
Once you get to the dealer, the service is quite good.

I did get a generous trade in allowance on my car, which had few miles. I've had a couple of Bolts since '19.

On driving home, I found my Tesla handled very well--much my old Porsche Boxster--but a lot quieter , of course.
Better suspension than the Bolt--by far.

At home, after about 40 miles, I decided to charge the car in my garage, using the Tesla adapter for the Bolt charger I still had connected to my 240V line.
I charged to 100% in a couple hours -272 miles. My understanding is the LFP battery can be charged to 100%. Everything went fine until I pulled the charger out, and the charger door wouldn't shut! Googled this, and found similar experiences in this chat group. Some said open charger door manually, insert the charger and then pull it out again. Presto. Charger door closed!

I called one of those Vegas guys and told him to relay this to my dealer. No mobile follow up needed until the next time I charge the car. We'll see what happens.

Any experiences out there on this issue? Looks like it is not uncommon.

Thanks. I would say I waited a few minutes. The second time it closed within a minute.

It can take a few minutes. I am not sure on the logic around why sometimes it waits and sometimes it doesnt wait very long, but I havent seen many situations where it doesnt close at all unless the door is non functional.

Reactions: Maki22
OK. Another question: In my garage, car doesn't seem to lock with "walk away lock" switched on. Driver door stays unlocked and screen lights up when I approach car with key (in my wallet) or without key. I'm thinking perhaps I need to swipe the key when I get out to lock it, and then swipe again to unlock it. I've read key in wallet is same as swiping it on the door? Maybe I'm getting this wrong. Note I haven't attempted to start the car in all this.