Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Tesla Model S Has Found a Home in Newfoundland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there,

We had a pretty big snow storm here in St. John's the other day and I grabbed some pictures of our Model S before we dug her out.

We get a lot of comments from locals and just others in general about how is an electric vehicle going to work in a harsh Newfoundland winter. As we tell them, its been awesome! The car is steady as a rock in snow and ice and never had gotten stuck anywhere (can't say the same for our other vehicles). Theres been some quirks with the frames-windows getting frozen and significantly higher energy consumption in the winter on short trips but overall been a great experience.

I thought there was a thread about posting winter pictures of Model S but I could not find it.

View attachment 75091View attachment 75092
Now that takes me back! Glad to know your're "having a time"! :). I hope to be home for a visit around Regatta 2016.

Wow those photos are impressive. I assume you keep the car plugged in every night?

Nope! I'd say on average this winter we have been plugging it in 3 nights a week. The hassle of plugging it in every night was not worth the benefit. This might change if we ever get a HPWC to replace our NEMA 14-50 but were gonna stick with the NEMA 14-50 for now.

The cars main route (work and back) is less than 10 minutes of driving and feel that is not worth plugging into shore power to keep the battery heated for such a short trip. If anything, we'd like a "prevent battery heating for short trips" feature that many people on this forum have been discussing.

This is such a great thread on so many levels. Generally, good testimonial for EV winter driving and a showcase for the beauty of a Model S. For me in particular, brings great memories from a winter visit to Fredericton and St John's last year. Most importantly, I'm selling my wife on a cross-Canada Tesla road trip, and she found the photos of your car in Quidi Vidi inspiring.

I have a question: What's the ferry connection like in the summer? Looks like a 14-hour ride from Sidney to Argentia and a two-hour drive to St John's. Comfortable sleeping on the ferry? Scenic route?

Hi Everyone!

We received our Tesla Model S about a week ago and we are just blown away. I am really trying to promote EVs in Newfoundland as we have a electricity grid that is more than 80% hydro electricity and soon to be 99% in 2017 with the Muskrat Falls Generating Station comes online. Newfoundland has some beautiful scenery so I have been trying to get some great photos of the Model S. The picture below, I believe (please someone let me know if I'm wrong) is the first picture of a Model S with an iceberg in the background. I will try to get some more this weekend.

View attachment 52377

Also, here is a link to an iCloud album with some more picture of that day. There is a company here in NL called Green Rock E.V.S than imports pre-owned EV's to sell to Newfoundlanders. This was during a photo shoot for a local magazine article that Green Rock E.V.S will be featured in.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A15Uzl7Ve8Qqx

Anyways,

I hope these pictures inspire some folks to come visit Newfoundland soon as it is a great place to experience!

Hey there,

We had a pretty big snow storm here in St. John's the other day and I grabbed some pictures of our Model S before we dug her out.

We get a lot of comments from locals and just others in general about how is an electric vehicle going to work in a harsh Newfoundland winter. As we tell them, its been awesome! The car is steady as a rock in snow and ice and never had gotten stuck anywhere (can't say the same for our other vehicles). Theres been some quirks with the frames-windows getting frozen and significantly higher energy consumption in the winter on short trips but overall been a great experience.

I thought there was a thread about posting winter pictures of Model S but I could not find it.

View attachment 75092

I have a question: What's the ferry connection like in the summer? Looks like a 14-hour ride from Sidney to Argentia and a two-hour drive to St John's. Comfortable sleeping on the ferry? Scenic route?

If you're in it for the drive, there is actually another ferry that dumps you in Port Aux Basques on the western end of the island. It's only about an 8-hour ride and give you the opportunity to see the whole island on your way to St. John's.

No matter which ferry you take, the way to go is to book a cabin. It pretty much doubles the price but it really makes the time fly by. Make sure you book ahead though because they sell out fast. Otherwise, the seats are comfortable enough but I've never been able to sleep very well with people snoring all around me...

Can you charge onboard the ferry?

There are currently no charging facilities on the ferry. I discussed the possibility of adding some but was told that the power they use on it was incompatible with EVSEs (weird voltage or something).

They said they'd consider finding some sort of charging solution if there was enough demand, so definitely think about sending them an e-mail requesting charging facilities.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that Range Mode only limited battery heating when preconditioning the car. Battery heating when driving is presumably considered essential to prolonging battery life and can't be disabled.

As far as I know there is no lifetime issue. If the battery is cold you can't draw full power, and you can't regenerate because you can't charge below freezing. So they warm the pack up to provide better operating performance.

Range Mode is intended for driving, and its purpose is to limit heater power consumption. It is useful when you have a cold-soaked car and want to drive it without draining the battery using the heaters at full power.

Range Mode also has the (undesirable if you are plugged in) side-effect of limiting pack and cabin heating when you're plugged in.