Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Departure Time - I think I understand now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I don't get is that the app already lets us enter peak / mid peak / off peak times, the app KNOWS the electricity rates and timing for specific charge locations. Why is it this difficult? I should have options as such:

1. what is your departure time and desired SOC? e.g. 7pm, 80% SOC
2. charge only during [ ] off peak [ ] mid peak [ ] peak (chose one or more)
3. the app will charge only during the periods you select with the goal of reaching desired SOC by the departure time

It's not rocket science. Task two of your programmers on this, what the hell Tesla
The app *may* know it, it generally doesn't. But the car doesn't know about it.

And you pretty much hit the fucntionality on the head. You set maximum charge, that's on the battery page. You set charging start time on the schedule.

Getting a car to fully charged is generally not a problem during 8 or so hours that represent the low rate period.

No, it's not enough time for 120V charging in many instances, but then comes the question of what should it do if it can't get the car charged. And the Tesla answer is "We let the car charge until it is charged"

The app *may* know it, it generally doesn't. But the car doesn't know about it.

And you pretty much hit the fucntionality on the head. You set maximum charge, that's on the battery page. You set charging start time on the schedule.

Getting a car to fully charged is generally not a problem during 8 or so hours that represent the low rate period.

No, it's not enough time for 120V charging in many instances, but then comes the question of what should it do if it can't get the car charged. And the Tesla answer is "We let the car charge until it is charged"

Good point. If the app/car doesn’t know the timing then give us the option to enter it.

The current “what if it‘s not possible to charge to desired SOC by the specified time, meeting desired constraints, at current kw rate” is already solved - by forcing the charge to continue even during peak. This seems reasonable enough to me.

So really the only thing they need to add are three tick boxes and times for peak, mid-peak, and off-peak.

So that one can choose for example:

Desired SOC 85% (already exists in app)

Departure time 1900hr (already exists in app - will serve as the end charge time and precondition the car at this time)

Charge during:
[x] off peak 1900-0700
[x] mid-peak 0700-1100 1700-1900
[ ] peak 1100-1700

The crazy thing is that I haven’t found an app that can do this yet, though haven’t played around with Tessie’s developer api yet.

Good point. If the app/car doesn’t know the timing then give us the option to enter it.

The current “what if it‘s not possible to charge to desired SOC by the specified time, meeting desired constraints, at current kw rate” is already solved - by forcing the charge to continue even during peak. This seems reasonable enough to me.

So really the only thing they need to add are three tick boxes and times for peak, mid-peak, and off-peak.

So that one can choose for example:

Desired SOC 85% (already exists in app)

Departure time 1900hr (already exists in app - will serve as the end charge time and precondition the car at this time)

Charge during:
[x] off peak 1900-0700
[x] mid-peak 0700-1100 1700-1900
[ ] peak 1100-1700

The crazy thing is that I haven’t found an app that can do this yet, though haven’t played around with Tessie’s developer api yet.
It already has the options for peak, mid-peak and off-peak.

Off-peak is what we've been talking about. 1900 start
Midpeak is set it to 1700 start
Peak, that's known as always. No start

Problem solved, it supports all of them!

That's been my experience in three weeks of owning the car... "Scheduled charging" = "Start charging at this time" and "Off peak" = "finish charging at this time".

My general use case is to set the off-peak time and departure/precondition to the same time (0445 off peak every day, 0445 departure weekdays) and both usually finish about 15 minutes ahead of time. My actual "super off peak" time ends at 0700 so if I weren't leaving till after that, I'd use that as the end time.
So I discovered something. If the departure/precondition time is set earlier than the off-peak end time, the car will finish charging prior to departure. I can now just leave off-peak at 0700 and set departure as needed.