Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abnormal "slipping" noise/feel when backing up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm experiencing a weird "slipping" if I back up while my wheel turned all the way to the left. It's like two objects are touching and they slip past each other. Or as if I ran something over. I'm having a hard time explaining it, lol.

Anyone have this issue with their car?

I have a used 2016 facelift AP1 which I just got a week ago. I'm experiencing the same issue. A kind of skipping on full lock. It seems to be only when the car is cold. The private dealer I got it from says

'The wheel issue is believed to be the multi link suspension system Tesla use, similar to Audi's and Mercedes. It skips in the cold so that could be the noise you're hearing and it's more common in the cold.'

Does this sound feasible or is it BS ?

I've searched the threads and this is the closest to my experience. I have 21 inch Turbines and there always feels like a severe understeer during low speed turns...turning into driveway, backing etc. My friend has 19's and her 70d nose cone doesn't exhibit the same behavior.

I had a 15' nosecone with 21s that had the same skidding, low traction feel when making low speed turns.

Has anyone else had this experience and if so, is this something that tesla service can fix,.or do I just have to live with it. It is more than annoying.