Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full turn grinding noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my 2022 Model S tires rotated at the Tesla service center late September. After that I started experiencing decreased ride handling and comfort. Then I noticed that on full left or right turns (like one you would do when making a U turn) there was a grinding noise. At first I dismissed the noise as just something under the tires - like a pine cone or something. But then realized it happened all the time.

Today I had a service appointment to take a look and was shocked to hear that at the previous tire rotation they put rear wheels in front and front wheels in rear. Apparently my Model S which has 19” tires are of different sizes for front and rear.

Now I am worried about the damage it did to my vehicle as I drove like that for almost 2 months. Anyone has had any experience like that ? The service manager didn’t even bother to say sorry. It was mostly oops. Shockingly bad experience.

I know the Tesla fans out there are suddenly going to compare my experience with other premium brands. Just so you know what got me to this frustrated/detracted phase:
1. Car delivered with several missing parts - no trunk cover, no mats, no license plate holder and who knows what else was missing
2. Terrible frunk alignment - so much that I can slide the palm of my hand under the frunk with the lid closed - and yes the lid was closed properly
3. Frunk apron sticking out - like rubber sticking out
4. Misaligned tapes on rear window. My 6 year old tapes better than this.

So please cut out the other brands do it too crap and let us acknowledge that Tesla has gone above its head. It is by far the worst quality vehicle brand. And it pains me to say that as a one time fan of Tesla.

Reactions: onshi
Unlike many others who complain to make a penny, I don't need any money back. I will live with my remorse. But I do need people to have accountability. Tesla has managed to silence everyone and with Musk controlling X, good luck getting any views on a X post that has any quality complaints. Independent forums are the only hope.

Odd, as I had my 2023 MY LR tires rotated 5000 miles/8000km ago, with nary an issue. But yesterday morning driving to work at -11C (14F), all of a sudden I lost my regen braking, and all driver assist warning lights came on telling me nothing would start "assisting" me again until the next drive. As I pulled into my parking space, I heard a grinding noise (both left and right turns). I made an appt with the local Tesla service center for this Friday - but what in the world? Can't be related to a tire rotation from 9 weeks ago, right? I've been told it's a broken speed sensor by another Tesla owner from work - but what in the world? I've got only 31000km/19500 miles on the car.

It looks like older (Pre-22) S had the same sized tires. That is why my manual says to rotate tires like you would on any vehicle where the tire dimensions were the same (front left to rear right and so on). They even forgot to review and edit the manual. Super carelessness.
It does look like @Markpn may have a different issue.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
It looks like older (Pre-22) S had the same sized tires. That is why my manual says to rotate tires like you would on any vehicle where the tire dimensions were the same (front left to rear right and so on). They even forgot to review and edit the manual. Super carelessness.
It does look like @Markpn may have a different issue.
Today the same warning lights came on (my appt at the service center is tomorrow) - I put the car in park, and then - voila! no more grinding noise and the car acted like it (normally) does. UNTIL i headed home from the office. I was going slow in traffic, in drive, heard a loud CLUNK, then the grinding sound (while going straight ahead). I put the car in park at the next light for a second, put it back in drive, and the grinding sound while going straight ended, while the grinding while making a hard left or hard right began anew. Oh, I can't wait to see what Tesla finds out at the shop tomorrow afternoon.....

That happens to me all the time. Often it’s a pebble that gets stuck between the brake rotor and heat shield. Makes a HORRIBLE grinding noise that can change with steering angle and/or reversing. Jack up the offending corner, take the wheel off, and bang/pry around the heat shield a bit. You’ll almost certainly find it.

Just turn your wheel all the way with these tires on and see at what points they would rub the inner fender. If there is damage just have them replace it, but I doubt you'd ever notice anything from said damage.

I had my 2022 Model S tires rotated at the Tesla service center late September. After that I started experiencing decreased ride handling and comfort. Then I noticed that on full left or right turns (like one you would do when making a U turn) there was a grinding noise. At first I dismissed the noise as just something under the tires - like a pine cone or something. But then realized it happened all the time.

Today I had a service appointment to take a look and was shocked to hear that at the previous tire rotation they put rear wheels in front and front wheels in rear. Apparently my Model S which has 19” tires are of different sizes for front and rear.

Now I am worried about the damage it did to my vehicle as I drove like that for almost 2 months. Anyone has had any experience like that ? The service manager didn’t even bother to say sorry. It was mostly oops. Shockingly bad experience.

Shockingly typical experience.

Don't let Tesla work on your car unless you watch them. Even then, they can break things as you watch.

Mobile tire service came out and did not know the difference between N-M and Ft - Lbs. Proceeded to torque my wheel lug nuts to 174 Ft-lbs. When I showed him the on screen manual, he just shrugged and he always did that way to all the cars.

Metal suspension components usually win over tires. If the tires are not too badly damaged I think you are ok.

I dropped off the car at my local service center; they said the symptoms were similar to that of a bad hub bearing (really?). We'll see what they say and I'll post the response.
Aha- here's the problem: "Diagnose and replace front drive unit and left halfshaft. Refilled Vacuum Cooling System for consistently failing thermal test. Perform 4 Wheel Alignment. Performed Post-Repair Validation Test Drive. Verified proper operation". A lot more serious than we all thought!