Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunky noise in steering components - covered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that when I turn the wheel sharply to turn into a driveway I can hear a fairly loud clunking noise presumably from the steering components. It sounds like it may need a new bushing or something. Is that something that would be covered under the extended warranty?

Is this noticed only on wet surface or dry as well?

This is an interesting question. When on hard lock my cars front wheels seem to be fighting each other like there is a limited slip diff in the front of the car (which I don't think there is). It's like the car tries to turn both wheels the same amount even though it cant because of the slow sharp turn. It's very evident at work, we have a polished floor in the garage. In particular if it is wet/slippery, when turning hard around the garage one of the front wheels will slip and "clunk" to release the pressure.

Don't know if others have ever sensed the same. I could get someone to take a video of it happening to really prove my theory I suppose.

@KalJoMoS. Do you know what causes this? Something mechanical in the car or perhaps the Traction Control being over excited?

BTW, literally a few minutes after my post, I drove out of my driveway at home (turned hard or a rain soaked road) and it also did the gripping/clunking/slipping sound thing. I chuckled and went on my way.

Oh and yes I still have summer tires on. Does the car know if it has winter tires and behave differently?

I can only suggest that the rubber of summer tires “looses” grip in colder weather (below 44F/7C) and if you mix this with water or other natural debris on pavements (like leaves of tree or plants) your sharp direction changes on slow speed “jumps” suddenly giving you unexpected sounds from suspension section. If this ONLY occurs on slow speed, you are fine. If not, have it inspected.
And what is different if using winters tires is that this rubber compound grips much better with cold temp. Better to look other discussions here in TMC about why to change for winter tires...