Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull the trigger on a Model 3… Couple of questions…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey new guy here, I've been reading a lot on this site and we're about ready to pull the trigger on a Model 3. We're leaning towards the long range all wheel drive.

A couple of questions....

Is there any advantage to ordering in 2019 or waiting until January 2020?

I've been reading a lot about the acceleration boost option and I don't fully understand it all. I don't want to order something that's not eligible for that option… Any advice there?

Thanks in advance for answering my newbie questions!

If you take delivery this year you would still be eligible for the $1,875 tax credit.

Tesla is currently shipping model year 2020 cars, although there was no change in anything from the 2019 models.

The LR AWD model is eligible for the $2K acceleration boost. But you would be better off trying to get a Stealth car, which is the Performance model without the performance upgrades. The stealth has the 0-60 3.2 second acceleration. An AWD with the boost will be more like 3.9 seconds although some have reported slightly faster times. The Stealth is $2k more than the AWD car, but exactly the same price as if you purchase the boost on the AWD model.

You can’t order a stealth online but you can call Tesla and see if they have any in stock.

You can still find a 2019 Stealth Performance inventory model before the end of the year and qualify for the $1875 tax credit. Meaning the upgrade from the LR AWD to P3D- would be essentially free. You might have to travel to pick it up or pay for delivery depending on location.