Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABRP - how to use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I see people talking about ABRP, a better route planner, quite a lot however I am getting a bit confused with some of the options.
I am planning a couple of trips, one will be 95% + motorway driving, the other split 50-50.
The figures that I am most confused with are:
-Reference consumption (@wh/m@65)
-Reference speed
-Max speed

To put an example on it, trip 1 (95% motorway), I want to plan for a trip where I am travelling 80-90mph, without ever going above 100mph.
For trip 2, I would like to factor in the whole trip which I’d expect to average speeds of about 60mph.

My attempt has be using 250 wh/m as a reference at 65 and reference speed of 130% (ie 65*1.3 = 85), with a maximum speed of 100.
Is this correct? How can I improve to give a more realistic figure?

Has anyone got a how to with definitions of the settings, ie if you drive like this, then your figure will be similar to X, otherwise Y.
Any help is much appreciated.

The figures that I am most confused with are:
-Reference consumption (@wh/m@65)
-Reference speed
-Max speed

Leave references (they are sourced from thousands of data points, abrp model does the rest) on default and set max speed to whatever your max speed is.

Obviously at speeds you are talking about, you will be off the scale wrt Wh/mile.

Model 3 Consumption and Charging

remember to set climatic conditions under more settings

Try the defaults first.
80-90mph is going to kill your range, especially in cooler temps. You'll probably only get 100-200 miles range at that speed.

Reference consumption is default to be what makes the EPA standard numbers
Reference speed % is the speed at which the consumption is measured
Not sure about Max speed, except that it may just be a check field so that Ref speed * Ref % doesn't go above it.

Some previous work showed that the optimal speed, including charging, is about 75 mph.

I would always leave the reference consumption Wh/Mi @ 65 unless I knew my consumption was going to be a lot higher (head winds, really cold weather, snow/rain).

I would change the reference speed % like the OP was doing to approximately what I would be traveling. This is the % that is multiplied by the speed limit to gauge your own speed reference. It doesn't help to use only 105% if you are not expecting to go only 5% over. Use the percent to get close to your planned speed and it will calculate your consumption accordingly.

Max speed I think is only useful if the speed limit is higher than your planned speeds across the route, so you don't want it thinking you will be going faster than you really will as it calculates the plan.

ABRP goes a good job finding the most efficient routing, vs. the Tesla nav or even Waze trying to find the fastest route. It also factors in the elevation changes pretty well.

If you run it on the Tesla browser during the trip, it will continue to update the planned vs. actual. So far, I've gotten it to work out pretty close and if anything, ABRP tends to be slightly conservative.

I use these setting in the screen shot attached. I use these for long distance driving in my SR+. I've upped the reference consumption to 299 as I like to over estimate just to be on the safe side. I find this to be more accurate for my style of driving and generally get to my location within about 5-10% better then what ABRP predicted

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200103-104058_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200103-104058_Chrome.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 510
One setting many people forget to set is the “additional weight”. You weigh something right? And your cargo and additional passengers if any? I estimate this for every trip and so far ABRP has been spot on for range and arrival estimates. I’ll try and share my settings later if desired.

Thanks everyone, i didn’t realise if you clicked the route, it would give you information on consumption and speed and elevation at that point. A few clicks along the route shows travelling speed at 85 along the majority of the journey and that’s what I’m looking for.
additional weight”.
I have factored in weight of an additional passenger and luggage, but I haven’t factored in my weight. Surely it takes the driver into account and additional weight is additional passengers and luggage?

Thanks everyone, i didn’t realise if you clicked the route, it would give you information on consumption and speed and elevation at that point. A few clicks along the route shows travelling speed at 85 along the majority of the journey and that’s what I’m looking for.

I have factored in weight of an additional passenger and luggage, but I haven’t factored in my weight. Surely it takes the driver into account and additional weight is additional passengers and luggage?
I always include my weight as well. Try different settings and use what works for you! I have to fine tune it also because I have staggered 20’s with wider wheels in the rear.

One setting many people forget to set is the “additional weight”. You weigh something right? And your cargo and additional passengers if any? I estimate this for every trip and so far ABRP has been spot on for range and arrival estimates. I’ll try and share my settings later if desired.

It doesn't seem to be explained what additional weight means within ABR. Is it additional to: 1) the unloaded car 2) the driver plus unloaded car 3) the driver plus 1 passenger and unloaded car 4) 4 passengers and unloaded car ... Is it number 2) ?

It doesn't seem to be explained what additional weight means within ABR. Is it additional to: 1) the unloaded car 2) the driver plus unloaded car 3) the driver plus 1 passenger and unloaded car 4) 4 passengers and unloaded car ... Is it number 2) ?
Anything in additional to the default weight of the car in my opinion. Unless you think the developers consider everyone in the world to weight the same?

Anything in additional to the default weight of the car in my opinion. Unless you think the developers consider everyone in the world to weight the same?

So every journey will have extra weight to add ... and it therefore seems odd that it's in the extended "more settings" section. That's why I had thought that perhaps an "average driver" weight may already be included for basic planning.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
So every journey will have extra weight to add ... and it therefore seems odd that it's in the extended "more settings" section. That's why I had thought that perhaps an "average driver" weight may already be included for basic planning.
It’s a setting for fine tuning. In my example I’ve done extensive mods. Most reduce weight, but I also travel with my battery compressor, cleaning stuff, the dog, etc. I reduced weight from default by replacing my 12v battery with an Ohmmu (reduces ~15lbs from the front) and lighter forged wheels, etc. So I tune this setting accordingly as best I can. Just play with it and on drives pull up the Tesla Energy graph and put it on “trip” while navigating to the next waypoint in ABRP.

You definitely should login to ABRP with the Tesla browser and also login to both ABRP and with your Tesla login to give ABRP the current information for planning. You also will then have a button to “send to Tesla NAV” in the top right for navigating to each waypoint on your trip like charging stops, etc. Compare ABRP’s estimate to the Tesla Energy graph in trip mode. Mine is spot on with advanced ABRP settings.

I’ve just travelled to Poland and back using ABRP. I changed reference speed to what speed I expected to travel at, so for me 1.15 which is about 75mph in the UK. I then adjusted this after I got into Europe as I generally travelled faster. If you don’t adjust the reference speed it will calculate your route at the speed limit. I always selected the max speed to be equal to the speed i expected to travel at. If you leave the references as default and adjust the max speed from the speed limit upwards in increments, you will see that the Wh/mi doesn’t alter but it will if you adjust it below the speed limit.

I use it extensively since inception and absolutely love it. 3 trips over 4,000 mile trips each, it is a great tool. I have logged 150,000 total Tesla miles in under 5 years.
First thing I do, is set the 2 "Arrival" settings to 20% for less range anxiety. If it won't route the way I want, I will lower that setting.
When you place a waypoint, with the settings gear, you have the options of setting your departure time and charge level. This is great for planning meal stops and overnights.
You should login with your Tesla and ABRP credentials. This allows you to save routes. Once you do--when you select "Plan Route" a pop may ask you if you want to use the car stats or hit cancel -to have it reflect what SOC level you will have upon departure.
I usually build a long trip first, using departure times to select food/charging stops and overnights. I then drill down on each particular day to determine what stops might be added.
I find it best to plan routes on a computer, then save the link and open in the car, but, I usually plan the route with ABRP, then just use the in car Tesla/Google nav for travel.

• Helpful
it didn't do anything for me that the car and my smartphone doesn't already do. What am I missing here?

I have found for trips longer than 2 hours, it does a great job finding the most *battery efficient* routes. Waze and Google Maps will find the fastest routes. On a trip from western suburbs of Chicago to the west of Milwaukee, the map apps suggested the best route was freeway, but used 20% more battery than a more direct route that took 10 mins longer. That difference in battery was caused by lower speed on the direct route and because it was a lot shorter.

I can live with a slightly longer trip because I love driving my car!

• Helpful