Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABRP question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

m3gt2

Sep 14, 2015
england
Ok, so I still don't have the car but hopefully soon. I have played with ABRP to check it out but I see it has the option to link your Tesla account, is this so you actually use it as your nav in car, or is it just a route planner with no guidance? Also is it updated with live traffic? Thanks

Ok, so I still don't have the car but hopefully soon. I have played with ABRP to check it out but I see it has the option to link your Tesla account, is this so you actually use it as your nav in car, or is it just a route planner with no guidance? Also is it updated with live traffic? Thanks
You can use it live in car as a nav although for routing and traffic the built-in car Nav is much better apart from a few edge cases (roads that are incorrect/gated etc.). The in-car Nav is kept pretty up-to-date with road network updates. That said ABRP does an amazing job in terms of using the in-car browser. Also I have the older MCU1 so it probably performs much better in newer cars (and it's generally pretty good even on MCU1).

ABRP doesn't display traffic graphically so I don't know if it takes account of traffic conditions. It's possible it is using some kind of live data so for point-to-point journey time estimates in the future I personally use ABRP to pick a route but then compare it with Google to see what the effect of traffic at different times might be. Generally I've found ABRP optimistic in terms of travel time which is why I suspect it's assuming clear road conditions - but then if you're taking longer due to traffic you use less energy and spend less time charging than predicted. Short answer: compare ABRP's time estimates against another tool like Google maps and draw your own conclusions.

Finally for many older cars like my S70 Supercharging has been slowed down a bit and I suspect ABRP's charging time estimates will be ~20% lower than reality in my case.

Reactions: m3gt2
Also I should add ABRP has some nice in-car features that you don't see on a conventional browser.
It can show a plot of elevation and expected energy use along your planned route, and prompts to replan if you change route or the curves start diverging. If you share car data it will also show your charge rate when supercharging which is pretty neat.

And it supports waypoints which have been requested for the Tesla Nav for years
IMG_5707_small.JPG

Reactions: m3gt2