Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC coolant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone

I see that the AC coolant fluid is getting close to the minimum in my car.

Do you guys recommend that I take it to the Tesla service center or buy aftermarket coolant and flush it myself?

Thanks

?? No such thing as AC coolant. There is air conditioning refrigerant? Which is pressurized and sealed you don't have a way to see what the level of that is usually the first hint of low refrigerant in your AC system would be sub performing air conditioning in the car unless of course there was a catastrophic failure then you would see oil sprayed about wherever the leak was. The oil residue would remain the refrigerant itself would disappear it cannot exist at ambient temperatures unless pressurized.

Perhaps what you're observing is the battery pack and electronics coolant tank?

Last edited:
?? No such thing as AC coolant. There is air conditioning refrigerant? Which is pressurized and sealed you don't have a way to see what the level of that is usually the first hint of low refrigerant in your AC system would be sub performing air conditioning in the car unless of course there was a catastrophic failure then you would see oil sprayed about wherever the leak was. The oil residue would remain the refrigerant itself would disappear it cannot exist at ambient temperatures unless pressurized.

Perhaps what you're observing is the battery pack and electronics coolant tank?

AC refrigerant is what I meant sorry. I opened the hood and was checking the brake fluid level which is when I saw that the levels were close to the minimum. AC is working fine and there is no leak.

What you are checking is the Battery Coolant Level. Do not open the cap or add any fluids to it. It is special coolant. From manual:

Checking Battery Coolant
Your Battery coolant should not need to be replaced for the life of your vehicle under most circumstances. However, if the quantity of fluid in the cooling system drops below the recommended level, the instrument panel displays a warning message. Stop driving Model S as soon as safety permits and contact Tesla.

Fluid Level Check
On a Rear Wheel Drive Model S, you can check the fluid level visually. BUT DO NOT REMOVE THE FILLER CAP AND DO NOT ADD FLUID. Doing so can result in damage not covered by the warranty. To check the fluid level, park Model S on level ground. When Model S is cool, remove the maintenance panel (see Removing the Maintenance Panel on page 184). T he fluid level can be seen by looking at the outside marks on the side of the reservoir.

To maximize the performance and life of the Battery, the cooling system uses a specific mixture of G-48 ethylene-glycol coolant (HOAT). Contact Tesla for more specific information about the coolant.