Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC failures due to constant use during COP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced an AC motor failure from over use or should I say earlier than would be expected because of living in hot climates where the COP(cabin overheat protection) is running ALL day long.
5 days a week my car sits at work in Texas outside and temps are typically 100f. Seems like the COP is turning off and on every few minutes for many hours a day. Worries me somewhat I’ll be replacing an AC motor at some point.
just looking for anyone’s experience with this.

I’ve not heard of any stories that could be explicitly linked to this, but I disabled COP based on the same general concern (and my general opinion that it wastes a fantastic amount of energy).

I park in the shade when I can and use a windshield sunscreen.

Reactions: F@kegman
Your for sure right about the energy usage due to COP. But I can’t stand the thought of the interior reaching temps of 130 to 150 and ruining or degrading the interior. I wish I had the option of shade from trees or anything else here at work.
ive only got 8 thousand miles of warranty left so if it’s gonna fail it better do it quick :)

I don’t use COP but I had an AC compressor failure on my X at 70k miles out of warranty was a $2500 fix ..I live in hot climate and use supercharging frequently due to amount I drive ..my SC mentioned that when supercharging and using AC while waiting in car puts a lot of strain on compressor

Yikes $2500. Geez.
@P85_DA I didn’t realize that about the Supercharging also being hard on it. I’ll keep that in mind. I guess there is not much I can do about it. I just hope if it’s gonna quit from excessive use it does so before hitting 50K miles.
just can’t go without COP that many days a week in the heat. Afraid will eventually ruin dash and much of the plastics in the interior as well as maybe the screens.