Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accelerator Pedal Log Data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a Tesla data log readout, what does an accelerator pedal reading of 0% signify? Does an accelerator pedal reading of 0% mean that the pedal is released and that zero motor torque is being produced, like it does in an ICE vehicle? Or, considering that the Tesla accelerator pedal is used for one-pedal driving, does an accelerator pedal of 0% imply that the accelerator pedal is released and that the vehicle is in maximum regen mode with negative motor torque being produced?

At zero vehicle speed, this might not make much of a difference because at zero vehicle speed both forward torque and regen torque are zero at 0% accelerator pedal. But at nonzero vehicle speeds, with one-pedal driving the accelerator pedal sweet spot that indicates the boundary between forward acceleration and regeneration increases with vehicle speed. Therefore, at nonzero vehicle speeds the accelerator pedal reading at which positive motor torque begins to be produced increases with vehicle speed. This means that at nonzero vehicle speeds a given accelerator pedal percentage reading may indicate different values of torque in percentage of maximum torque, or even different values of negative torque. And at all non-zero forward speeds, a 0% accelerator pedal reading will always indicate a maximum regen torque (i.e., negative torque) that varies with vehicle speed.

So, can someone please explain to me the mapping between percent accelerator pedal depression and percent maximum motor torque that applies in a Tesla data log readout? At what accelerator pedal percentage reading does positive torque begin to be applied to cause forward vehicle acceleration? Is this data log mapping the same as the EDR readout mapping?

In a Tesla data log readout, what does an accelerator pedal reading of 0% signify? Does an accelerator pedal reading of 0% mean that the pedal is released and that zero motor torque is being produced, like it does in an ICE vehicle? Or, considering that the Tesla accelerator pedal is used for one-pedal driving, does an accelerator pedal of 0% imply that the accelerator pedal is released and that the vehicle is in maximum regen mode with negative motor torque being produced?

At zero vehicle speed, this might not make much of a difference because at zero vehicle speed both forward torque and regen torque are zero at 0% accelerator pedal. But at nonzero vehicle speeds, with one-pedal driving the accelerator pedal sweet spot that indicates the boundary between forward acceleration and regeneration increases with vehicle speed. Therefore, at nonzero vehicle speeds the accelerator pedal reading at which positive motor torque begins to be produced increases with vehicle speed. This means that at nonzero vehicle speeds a given accelerator pedal percentage reading may indicate different values of torque in percentage of maximum torque, or even different values of negative torque. And at all non-zero forward speeds, a 0% accelerator pedal reading will always indicate a maximum regen torque (i.e., negative torque) that varies with vehicle speed.

So, can someone please explain to me the mapping between percent accelerator pedal depression and percent maximum motor torque that applies in a Tesla data log readout? At what accelerator pedal percentage reading does positive torque begin to be applied to cause forward vehicle acceleration? Is this data log mapping the same as the EDR readout mapping?

Where does one find/access a Tesla Log readout. This sounds interesting and fascinating to consider and assess.

Tesla log data or a Tesla EDR readout will only provide accelerator pedal position sensor data in percent of maximum travel. It will not answer the question I posed above regarding what the readings signify in terms of drive motor torque. Learning this would require a Tesla vehicle pedal map, which Tesla has not provided.

However, since posing the above question, I have found a technical paper that gives a pedal map for a research vehicle with one-pedal driving that was developed by a university in the Netherlands. The paper is entitled "Design and realization of a One-Pedal-Driving Algorithm for the TU/e Lupo EL" and the authors are J.J.P. van Boekel1, I.J.M Besselink1, H. Nijmeijer. You can do a Google search for this paper and you will find the paper contains a pedal map in Figure 10. The paper also gives the equations for creating this and other pedal maps. One can assume that a Tesla pedal map will be similar to this research pedal map. If this assumption is true, then the first 10% to 15% of the accelerator pedal depression provides a regen torque, while the remaining 85% to 90% of the depression provides forward drive torque.