Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MXP - A few questions ahead of ordering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,

I'm considering ordering a MXP (this would be my second Tesla - I currently have a 2022 Model Y Performance) and would appreciate some insight on the following questions:

#1 - Why is the top speed listed as 163 mph on the 22" wheel configuration vs. 149mph with the 20" wheel configuration? Does that limit affect the performance of the car? I'd assume that the MXP equipped with the 20" wheels to be a shade quicker on acceleration than the 22" wheels, but honestly I'm confused, as if anything I'd think the numbers should be swapped.

1684522341974.png
1684522354828.png

#2 - My MYP is fantastic off the line and pulls really hard from a stop but doesn't have quite the same effect if getting on it good from say 60+mph. It still accelerates very quickly, but you can feel the torque fade as it continues to climb in speed. Do the carbon sleeved motors in the MXP do better in this regard? Is the torque pull linear through the acceleration band and how well does the vehicle pull if you were to floor it from a rolling 60mph? Are the motors used in the MXP all permanent magnet or are any of them induction-based (like the front motor in the MYP)?

#3 - is the 2.5s 0-60 mph performance available only in the Plaid+Track/Cheeta acceleration mode, or is that also available in the "regular" Plaid acceleration mode? I'm sure the Sport and Chill acceleration modes are much slower than the listed 2.5s 0-60mph stats.

I appreciate any insight on the above - I've never driven (or ridden in) a Plaid-equipped Tesla, so I'm trying to understand the overall differences from a powertrain perspective vs. what I know about with my MYP.

I can't answer 1 or 3 with certainty, but #2 is yes, it pulls much better than the YP (I had a '22 YP as well as '23 XP). The XP pulls well past the 60's, much better than the YP.

The YP is great, but you'll absolutely love the XP!

So - is it safe to say that the X Plaid's torque is much more pronounced at speed and is it available throughout the entire acceleration band? It sounds like it it, but I'm curious - especially since you've had the same vehicle I currently have for comparison! The YP isn't a slouch by any means, but I'm wondering just how much better the XP will be in that regard... I'm wanting the XP to compress my chest and stretch my skull backwards even when I kick it at 80mph! :D

Greetings,

I'm considering ordering a MXP (this would be my second Tesla - I currently have a 2022 Model Y Performance) and would appreciate some insight on the following questions:

#1 - Why is the top speed listed as 163 mph on the 22" wheel configuration vs. 149mph with the 20" wheel configuration? Does that limit affect the performance of the car? I'd assume that the MXP equipped with the 20" wheels to be a shade quicker on acceleration than the 22" wheels, but honestly I'm confused, as if anything I'd think the numbers should be swapped.
Because the tires used on the 22 inch wheels are much more "grippy" high performance tires. The tires on the 20 inch wheels are low rolling resistance tires, designed for maximum efficiency as opposed to maximum performance. That is also why the range is significantly reduced with the 22s.

Greetings,

View attachment 939250View attachment 939251

#2 - My MYP is fantastic off the line and pulls really hard from a stop but doesn't have quite the same effect if getting on it good from say 60+mph. It still accelerates very quickly, but you can feel the torque fade as it continues to climb in speed. Do the carbon sleeved motors in the MXP do better in this regard? Is the torque pull linear through the acceleration band and how well does the vehicle pull if you were to floor it from a rolling 60mph? Are the motors used in the MXP all permanent magnet or are any of them induction-based (like the front motor in the MYP)?

#3 - is the 2.5s 0-60 mph performance available only in the Plaid+Track/Cheeta acceleration mode, or is that also available in the "regular" Plaid acceleration mode? I'm sure the Sport and Chill acceleration modes are much slower than the listed 2.5s 0-60mph stats.

I appreciate any insight on the above - I've never driven (or ridden in) a Plaid-equipped Tesla, so I'm trying to understand the overall differences from a powertrain perspective vs. what I know about with my MYP.
I’m almost certain the higher top speed for the 22inch wheels is because they come with summer tires which are rated for a higher speed than the all season tires that come with the 20s.

Reactions: EightBitWhit
Also the MYP traps 112-115 in the 1/4 mile while they MXP traps 140s. That’s a HUGE difference. Would not be tomorrow close from a 60 roll.

Check out this comparison video where they tested 60-125mph roll. The MYP did it in approx 13 seconds while the Model X plaid did it in 5.4ish. That’s ridiculous.

I too have a MYP and agree it feels a little slow from a 60 roll. But we are also planning to add a MXP to the household soon!

Performance difference is night and day. I moved from a MYP to Plaid X. Like you said, from a stop, the MYP feels fast but above 70, it definitely slows down. In the Plaid X, at just about any sane speeds you can cause a neck snap when you hammer it.

Regarding question 3, yes it needs to be in a drag strip mode. But you aren't likely to achieve that anyway on a regular street given the condition on the street surface probably won't be great for ultimate traction. To be honest though, IMO you'd be crazy to try to launch off a street. It's fast enough without it. There are probably only a handful of cars that can beat you off a dig on the streets. I've a few high powered ICE cars (E60 M5, CTS-V, Mustang GT350), nothing compares to what the Plaid X will do off the line, not even close.

Also the MYP traps 112-115 in the 1/4 mile while they MXP traps 140s. That’s a HUGE difference. Would not be tomorrow close from a 60 roll.

Check out this comparison video where they tested 60-125mph roll. The MYP did it in approx 13 seconds while the Model X plaid did it in 5.4ish. That’s ridiculous.

I too have a MYP and agree it feels a little slow from a 60 roll. But we are also planning to add a MXP to the household soon!
@Tulipo - Thanks for posting the link to that video - I've never seen that comparison before and when you're seeing the numbers and watching like that from a POV standpoint (and hear their reaction in the X vs. the Y) it comes into focus pretty hard what the difference between the two will be. Great vid.

For #1, the 20" tires on the X have a V speed rating which is 149mph. Speed ratings are here: What is Tire Speed Rating & Tire Speed Rating Chart | Tires Plus

Teslaratti says the tires are Continental CrossContact
265/45R20
108V Load Index 108 = 2,205 lbs (1,000 kg) per tire
Speed Rating “V” = 149 mph (240 kph)
Max. Load= 2,205 lbs
Max psi = 51 psi

Eco:
Low Rolling Resistance Technology
Noise Reduction Technology
Electric Vehicle Tuned
Thanks for that info @etekberg - that makes more sense now.

I'm curious though and maybe @Tulipo and/or @DCGOO can shed some light here as well... when on the 20" wheels/tires, is the MXP software-limited to 149mph top speed or will it actually go to 163mph? I'm trying to understand if the MXP will be artificially held back to 149mph even if I put on higher-speed-rated set of tires on the 20" wheels.

It's not as if I'm going to be driving the car at that limit all the time - but I would like to understand under what conditions the performance of the vehicle is "held back", if any.

Performance difference is night and day. I moved from a MYP to Plaid X. Like you said, from a stop, the MYP feels fast but above 70, it definitely slows down. In the Plaid X, at just about any sane speeds you can cause a neck snap when you hammer it.

Regarding question 3, yes it needs to be in a drag strip mode. But you aren't likely to achieve that anyway on a regular street given the condition on the street surface probably won't be great for ultimate traction. To be honest though, IMO you'd be crazy to try to launch off a street. It's fast enough without it. There are probably only a handful of cars that can beat you off a dig on the streets. I've a few high powered ICE cars (E60 M5, CTS-V, Mustang GT350), nothing compares to what the Plaid X will do off the line, not even close.
@shingles - Yes, that's the thing that I noticed almost immediately on the MYP... it's fast - don't get me wrong - it's very fast.. but it definitely has a "top fade" going on and it's really evident when you experience it. Hammer it at 70mph and it definitely doesn't have the same gusto it does off the line.

I appreciate the perspective on question 3... that leads me to wonder what the actual 0-60mph times and quarter mile times are in each of the acceleration modes? This Draggy-based comparison for the Model S Plaid is two years old, but even still it would be interesting to see the same for the MXP...

1684597326506.png

Because the tires used on the 22 inch wheels are much more "grippy" high performance tires. The tires on the 20 inch wheels are low rolling resistance tires, designed for maximum efficiency as opposed to maximum performance. That is also why the range is significantly reduced with the 22s.

@DCGOO - makes good sense... by a matter of comparison, I was in the design studio yesterday and decided pose the same question to Tesla and filled out the form asking them to contact me. I was contacted by a salesperson over the phone within and hour and asked him the question about the top-speed differences with the wheel configuration and he told me that it was because the aerodynamics of the 22" wheel were better and it was a lighter wheel than the 20". I took the info in kind and thanked him for his time, but I don't see how he's correct (regarding the weight).

Reactions: preilly44
sounds like a bunch of bs to me. you know how to tell if a sales person is lying right? you watch to see if their lips move. And I seriously doubt it is aerodynamically limited at 149 mph with 1000hp. And what a coincidence it would be that it exactly matches the V rated tire limit.
20" 32/33 lb
22" 36/42 lb

tires:
20" 29/31 lb
22" 33/37 lb

and keep in mind inertia matters and more of the weight is at a larger radius with bigger wheels/tires.,

Also the part about the grip of the tire is bs too. Speed rating is about the construction of the tire. Intertia is trying to rip it apart. Although you normally get softer compounds on higher speed rated tires because of the usage.

Last edited:
I've been kicking around the idea of an MXP. Mine would have 20" wheels. Smaller is better. I never liked the crazy large wheel craze that seemed to start about 20 years ago. I'd go smaller than 20 if they offered it. You can get Y rated tires in the same size in the 20's.

I've been kicking around the idea of an MXP. Mine would have 20" wheels. Smaller is better. I never liked the crazy large wheel craze that seemed to start about 20 years ago. I'd go smaller than 20 if they offered it. You can get Y rated tires in the same size in the 20's.
That was my thinking too but I went with 22s and I don’t mind them, I get similar range as my 20s winter tires actually. My regret is buying the 22s as an option, for me the smarter move would have been ordering the X with 20s and buy aftermarket 22s. I did the opposite and it cost me quite a bit more.

@DCGOO - makes good sense... by a matter of comparison, I was in the design studio yesterday and decided pose the same question to Tesla and filled out the form asking them to contact me. I was contacted by a salesperson over the phone within and hour and asked him the question about the top-speed differences with the wheel configuration and he told me that it was because the aerodynamics of the 22" wheel were better and it was a lighter wheel than the 20". I took the info in kind and thanked him for his time, but I don't see how he's correct (regarding the weight).
It may be the speed rating of the tires. Perhaps the LRR tires start to come apart above 149. When you get yours, give it a try and report back here <grin>.

Back in the day (2018), Tesla offered the performance tire package as a promotion for referrals. I got a set, ran them for a few months, took them off and sold them. The energy consumption was through the roof. I am not a sporty enough driver to know if they made a performance difference. (I've only had my car(s) over 100 mph once). So I guess if you are planning on frequently spending time between 149 and 163, they might be desirable. I usually run at 80 mph on trips.

My x plaid came with 220 tread wear Michelin 20” summer tires. It will go 165mph no problem. Being significantly lighter than 22s they will undoubtably be faster in a straight line.

It does have too much camber in low , so you should install a palladium camber kit for better traction/tire wear. Low cost and easy to install. Why does the Tesla S and X have too much camber? - MACSBOOST.com

I since changed to some lightweight 20s. Each corner is 8lbs lighter than before. The rear is even 1/2” wider and with a wider tire. You can feel the improvement. They have great looks, great range and performance that will be hard to beat.
IMG_6285.jpeg

sounds like a bunch of bs to me. you know how to tell if a sales person is lying right? you watch to see if their lips move. And I seriously doubt it is aerodynamically limited at 149 mph with 1000hp. And what a coincidence it would be that it exactly matches the V rated tire limit.
20" 32/33 lb
22" 36/42 lb

tires:
20" 29/31 lb
22" 33/37 lb

and keep in mind inertia matters and more of the weight is at a larger radius with bigger wheels/tires.,

Also the part about the grip of the tire is bs too. Speed rating is about the construction of the tire. Intertia is trying to rip it apart. Although you normally get softer compounds on higher speed rated tires because of the usage.

I have to believe the same on the speed rating being the limiting factor there... the more I'm looking into it, the more sense it makes.
Thanks for the other links, as I'll be looking into the higher-rated 20" tires for sure.

It may be the speed rating of the tires. Perhaps the LRR tires start to come apart above 149. When you get yours, give it a try and report back here <grin>.

Back in the day (2018), Tesla offered the performance tire package as a promotion for referrals. I got a set, ran them for a few months, took them off and sold them. The energy consumption was through the roof. I am not a sporty enough driver to know if they made a performance difference. (I've only had my car(s) over 100 mph once). So I guess if you are planning on frequently spending time between 149 and 163, they might be desirable. I usually run at 80 mph on trips.

I'll do it! ;)

I'm in much the same boat... I love spirited driving in the lower speed ranges but I do want to understand the parameters around the numbers that Tesla is listing.