Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Account security when dropping off car for service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might be a silly question. I recently dropped off my car for post delivery adjustments at the local Tesla Service Center. Yesterday, they informed me that a local body shop was going to pick up the car to repair a dent and repaint some areas. Today, I got a fraudulent charge attempt for an online order at Buffalo Wild Wings for around $185. This card only has a few recurring monthly charges, with exceptions being an order with Jeda and a reservation with Enterprise rent a car. I hate to accuse any one entity without knowing for sure, so I don't want to prematurely lay blame to anyone. So, out of curiosity, is it possible for anyone to see the credit card on file with Tesla, from my Tesla?

This might be a silly question. I recently dropped off my car for post delivery adjustments at the local Tesla Service Center. Yesterday, they informed me that a local body shop was going to pick up the car to repair a dent and repaint some areas. Today, I got a fraudulent charge attempt for an online order at Buffalo Wild Wings for around $185. This card only has a few recurring monthly charges, with exceptions being an order with Jeda and a reservation with Enterprise rent a car. I hate to accuse any one entity without knowing for sure, so I don't want to prematurely lay blame to anyone. So, out of curiosity, is it possible for anyone to see the credit card on file with Tesla, from my Tesla?
Look for the big guy with wing sauce down his shirt:) Why do you have to blame anyone...just report as fraudulent activity and have the cc company take care of it. Wouldn't a thief have to get access to your Tesla account in order to get into your cc info. Unlikely info came from your car. Let us know what you find out.

Look for the big guy with wing sauce down his shirt:) Why do you have to blame anyone...just report as fraudulent activity and have the cc company take care of it. Wouldn't a thief have to get access to your Tesla account in order to get into your cc info. Unlikely info came from your car. Let us know what you find out.

Amex was quick to shut it down, but it would be nice to pinpoint whoever and however they got it.

UNLESS you have logged into something in the browser, and it was still logged in when the perp started rummaging through your tech. I was initially annoyed when I couldn’t log in to my YouTube (I.e. google, which holds the keys to my kingdom) in the car, but once someone pointed out the exposure, I was glad about it.