Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ACKK!!! Midnight silver or regular silver???

Silver or midnight silver (aka grey)?

• Regular silver

Votes: 61 32.3%
  • Midnight silver (metallic grey)

Votes: 128 67.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What made you choose silver?
Because we live in SoCal and wanted something that is not too dark (to reduce the heat). Also we wanted something that stays clean so white was out of option.

Looking back however, I do feel the silver metallic needs to be clean. When it’s clean it looks silver, when it’s dirty it looks gray.

One thing I do like is it’s not as common. Midnight silver is really popular. I think both options are great though and midnight silver would probably have been my second choice.

Reactions: SoCalGuy
So I've eliminated white and now I'm down to just this very difficult choice: regular silver or midnight silver (aka metallic grey). I'll be going with either the silver 19" wheels or the aftermarket silver turbine 20s from EV Direct

Silver
+ Really shows the cars lines
+ Seems clean even when it's dirty
+ Minimizes the chrome
- Kind of boring/common?
- I already have a silver car

Midnight silver
+ Looks classy/elegant
+ Makes silver wheels "pop"
- A little darker than I'd like
- Changes color - sometimes looks purplish
- Car's lines less noticeable

Anyone else make this choice? Would love your thoughts / rationale for picking one over the other (including your own decision). Thanks!

If forced to make a choice between silver and midnight silver, I'd go with the latter. But only if paired with a white interior.

Personally, I'm going white. What made you eliminate that from contention?

If forced to make a choice between silver and midnight silver, I'd go with the latter. But only if paired with a white interior.

Personally, I'm going white. What made you eliminate that from contention?
White looks fantastic in pictures but one of my neighbors has a white Model 3 and most of the time it looks off-white/dirty. On a sunny day when the car is clean, it looks fantastic. The other days it just doesn't look as crisp.

White looks fantastic in pictures but one of my neighbors has a white Model 3 and most of the time it looks off-white/dirty. On a sunny day when the car is clean, it looks fantastic. The other days it just doesn't look as crisp.

Okay, perhaps since I've driven white cars since the dawn of time, I'm accustomed to the look. Then again I wash my cars every week, so I never let it get that dirty. But I'll admit, living in NE, the winters are tough on black/white cars.

Okay, perhaps since I've driven white cars since the dawn of time, I'm accustomed to the look. Then again I wash my cars every week, so I never let it get that dirty. But I'll admit, living in NE, the winters are tough on black/white cars.
Yeah - my two current cars are metallic grey and silver, so I'm used to those colors and they generally look pretty clean even when they're dusty or the sky is overcast.

Karmas side by side.png

I think color really also depends on the lines and curves of the car. The Model 3 in silver seems to show the angles much better but lacks the rich depth of the metallic grey. The metallic grey on the other hand doesn't show the angles (e.g. the rear haunches) very well but does look classier/complex/deeper/richer.

Last edited:
Yeah I've thought about that - just don't want an early build (although I suspect they don't have tons of silver M3s waiting around given the huge backlog of reservations).

What I have seen is the Silver's that are getting assigned have high VIN's. The VIN just gets assigned very quickly. I think the last one I saw assigned was within an hour or so of configuring and it was a 17xxx VIN. That was with 19" wheels. The Aeros take longer but are still much quicker than a Midnight Silver Aero configuration.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and SoCalGuy
Oh and I didn't post but I went with Silver because every model 3 I have seen in the wild so far was dirty. By far the silver dirty looks better than every other color. I cannot say how they look clean but I think any amazingly clean car looks really nice so I am basing it off of looking dirty.

I have 3 kids and even though I tell myself I am going to keep my car spotless the reality of it is it will probably be washed once a month if I am lucky.

Reactions: jsrawa
I have the light silver on my X- lines are so nice on this car, plus it hardly shows dirt. Black- whole other story (and hides the lines). I think the M3 is beautiful and I wan't to show the lines on the car...so light silver for me on it as well...