Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Active Alert: DI_w172 - "Powertrain requires service - OK to drive"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I am in discussions with a seller for his 2013 Model S - 60 with 120k miles and he just disclosed that there's an error message on his dash that states:

"Powertrain requires service - OK to drive"
"Avoid hard acceleration - Schedule service"

Clicking into it states it is: Active Alert - DI_w172

Before I arrange a Tesla service center to take a look at it, I'm curious if anyone knows what the common diagnosis could be & a ballpark cost associated with it.

Thank you!

IMG_1354.jpeg

Hello, I am in discussions with a seller for his 2013 Model S - 60 with 120k miles and he just disclosed that there's an error message on his dash that states:

"Powertrain requires service - OK to drive"
"Avoid hard acceleration - Schedule service"

Clicking into it states it is: Active Alert - DI_w172

Before I arrange a Tesla service center to take a look at it, I'm curious if anyone knows what the common diagnosis could be & a ballpark cost associated with it.

Thank you!
Hey! I just checked with a buddy at Tesla, and he stated that this is actually a common issue. This error indicates that the inverter is bad/is going bad. So of course anything is doable as a DIY but dropping the whole DU out of the car is no easy task. If you do wish to do so, you would have to pop open the passenger side of the DU which is where the Inverter is located. If you do happen to get this done with any 3rd party service outside Tesla, please let me know as I do also wish to get this done on my car.

Hi! I got the exact same issue this weekend… 24 hours after picking up my car from the dealership... It’s also a used Tesla S60 also from 2013 and with roughly 73k miles.
Any update from anyone who got it checked by Tesla?
Thanks!!