Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Unable to charge - Service is required" -- 1st service visit didn't fix it. Any ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my 2023 MS LR last month, and it was sent out to fix issues found on the delivery. Most of them are paint issues, and the service center was able to fix them, though it took them 2 weeks.

Right at the time I think my car is perfect and am ready to enjoy it, it threw an error saying "Unable to charge - Service is required". Below it says "charge port component is not detected". This error shows up intermittently, which is super annoying as I keep getting the "error-pop-up" sound during driving. The good side is that when the error is not active, I AM able to charge normally, so it doesn't actually affect my use of the car. When the error is active, I won't be able to open the charge port door, neither from the screen nor my phone. It's like the connection between the button and the charge port door actuator is gone.

I brought it to the service center, and they replaced the charge port door and thought the issue was fixed. I then went to the service center to pick it up and noticed a trim on the trunk was loose due to the failed sticky tape. They agreed to bring it in to fix the trim real quick, and when they were pulling it in, guess what, the error popped up again. I sat there for an hour when technicians tried to figure out the problem. Finally, a technician came out and tell me it was due to a bad cover plate on the back of the charge port. The error went on and off when they poked with this cover plate. Good news was that they had this cover plate in stock at another place in the city, so I waited another day for them to replace the plate part.

I was happy thinking they have fixed it and ready to enjoy my car. Well, the error pops up again on the second day. It shows up more frequently than pre-fix. I had to schedule another appointment, which is 2 weeks away, bummer. I contacted my service advisor, and he said nobody at his place had seen it before, and there were a lot of people working on my car for hours trying to diagnose and fix the issue. Well, I guess they will have to do that again.

I decided to get all the help I can and post my issue here. I put my car in service mode and took a picture of the error. Error codes are CP_a009 and CP_a100. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on the issue. Thanks a lot! I will update the post once I hear anything new from the service center.

*cannot attach picture due to some sort of server error. will add picture when it allows.

Last edited:
Would the Lemon Law be in effect now since they tried numerous times to fix it and they haven't?
It is an option for sure. I don't think it is in effect now as technically I only brought it to service once for now. I did ask my service advisor about the "buyback" thing Tesla has, and he said if they cannot fix it, they can let Tesla buy my car back. Tbh, I hope they can fix it. I like my car the most of time.

20230619.jpg

Reactions: Darmie
I bet there is a break in in the wire harness connection to the port.
Replace entire harness you will be fine.
Recommend to SC test cable harness for the port.

Should be easy to figure out which harness has the break better get it fix now than later.

Last edited:
I bet there is a break in in the wire harness connection to the port.
Replace entire harness you will be fine.
Recommend to SC test cable harness for the port.

Should be easy to figure out which harness has the break better get it fix now than later.
will let them know. thanks! the service advisor told me they replaced the "entire harness" last time, but I am not sure which part he actually referred to. i am guessing he meant for the harness of the power charge port door.

There are a few service centers in Houston and one more opening up in League City. I wonder if it would be worth trying another service center.
Actually I am thinking about the choice of service center. I figured sticking with one service center might be helpful as they know what they previously did (and didn't work), so they will look in a new direction. I am afraid a new service center will repeat those work (that didn't work) even with me telling them the context. But I will definitely try another if they couldn't fix it this time.

There is a harness on the charge port door, I suppose that is the one they replaced. Because you have too….
Don’t think they changed the harness connecting to that.
I still would ask if they changed the charge port ECU.

Reactions: ftjack
Upate -- Picked up my car from service center yesterday. They found it is the charge port itself that cannot hold the "safety cover" in place, so they replaced the charge port. The alert has not re-appeared since pickup, but I would like to give it more time to test before saying it is fixed.

Reactions: Darmie and MP3Mike
I am thinking someone possibly a collision center removed the charge port door . so often i get calls from Bodyshops not Tesla certified "how do i remove the charge port door so i can paint the 1/4 panel. when they do ot know they wiggle everything tha the hinge is effected and it does not line with control voltage pin signifiying it is closed