Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Active Spoiler - transplant from older X? Will software see it? Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think a transplant would possible for a refresh x with the horizontal screen. I would imagine the active spoiler setting would not be able to even be turned on in the mcu for the version. you could technically install the hinges motors etc but you would have to control it manually to rase and lower it with some kind of toggle switch for the 12v.

... and I could settle for this. I LOVE the idea of it magically adjusting to the speed, but manual with a switch works just fine too.

So sounds like nothing is there except the wing, which is what I would expect if it hasn't been an "active" spoiler for several years.

Why aren't some of these Tesla 3rd party sellers all over this? Evannex, Tesery, UPP should be all over this with something bare bones.

It honestly cost a lot of money in the end to do it lol. Couldn’t find any info on how to do it so I just took it upon myself and ONLY because I had a friend who was a tech that we tested and turned on the software config and it took before I went any further. Then I had to located a whole doner tailgate, for the spoiler, hinges, wiring harness. Then found out i also was short the 6 wires that were in the tailgate harness that went from the rear BCM to the tailgate harness connector. So I then needed to find a rear body harness to get those wires. Had to de pin them and insert them into my body harness. I Had to remove the rear hatch glass to remove the old fixed spoiler stanchion covers install new ones for the active spoiler and then re attach my glass. Install the hinges, motor, and the two rods from the donor tailgate, have the donor spoiler painted to match mine then reassemble everything. You could save money if you just found the parts but being I didn’t know how anything was assembled or the exact parts I needed the complete tailgate was the best option. Oh and days of sweating and untaping and re tapping wire harnesses to make it look oem because I’m anal 😂

Reactions: towndrunk
It wouldn’t be possible with stock electronics, but probably wouldn’t be impossible to build some module that reads the speed and whatever off the can bus and control it that way.
Yes. I was looking into a gps speed switch incase I could not get it to work. I found one that was programmable so In theory you could have it close and open with the mirror circuit and then have the speed sensitive gps switch to knock it not down to the active spoiler mode at 47mph. If you wanted to go that route. That would just require a lot more wires to run and it obviously would not be “plug” and “play” and look oem like how I did it.

I also think it’s horseshit that Tesla says it’s to difficult to fix an active spoiler vs fixed. After working on both, if you need to replace or fix the spoiler on the active version it’s 4 bolts from inside the car and the whole spoiler lifts off. If you want to fix the fixed one you need to peel the outer skin off the spoiler just to access the bolts to lift the spoiler off. So it’s not harder they are just cheap and don’t want to replace motors or hinges if they do break.

I just bought a 2017 P100DL that has all the cameras (B-pillar, dashcam, sidemarker cams, etc) and has the active spoiler. Bonus that it had updated MCU, HW (Full Self Driving Computer (and Full Self Driving Capability as an included package), premium interior, premium seats, heated wheel/cold weather fully loaded.