Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Added “Full Self-Driving” and Was Pushed back 3 months! New Hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a March 31 reservation holder, with a June 28 Order Date. Originally went with AWD, then Performance, back to AWD and then back again to Performance. Now I have settled on P3D Performance Package MSM, Black interior Autopilot. During all of this, my order date only moved forward to Aug-Oct when switching to Performance. On August 6 I was notified of free supercharging and on August 8 I read that Tesla is moving to in-house autopilot hardware that will be free to “Full Self Driving” capability. So, on August 8 I edited my order to include Full Self Driving. I was surprised to learn my anticipated delivery date was then pushed back from Aug-Oct to Oct-Dec.

I am guessing that the change was either due to 1) more performance orders that pre-dated mine, or 2) the full self-driving hardware will come out in a few months and it will be included with my car. I hope it is #2. Thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: Trvaleri
I don't think it means anything. It seems everyone who orders now or updates an order gets the Oct-Dec estimate. But in reality, as an early "reservationist" you will likely get your car much sooner. I also had an Oct-Dec estimate and will take delivery tomorrow (while some people with later reservation dates got a Sep-Nov estimate when ordering and are still waiting).

• Informative
Reactions: mahagala and P85_DA
As others have said, I believe there are basically two queues. The date you see on your my Tesla page is imply the last change to your reservation plus 2-4 months. But there is another more complicated queue that takes into account other factors like original reservation, which options you have, where you live, etc. It seems the original reservation date still counts for a lot, so you should get your car much faster than your current delivery window implies.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I had the same thing happen to me and called up Tesla.

The response when I asked if I really pushed my order out by an additional 2 months was (paraphrasing) “If you just added EAP or FSD, your date wouldn’t change. If you changed other things, you may have depending on the production schedule and when they get around to producing the new configuration that you chose. However, your place in line is based off of when you first reserved”

I added EAPilot after my initial confirmation and my estimated delivery date was changed from 9/18-11/18 to 10/18-12/18. I’ve called Tesla and got courteous responses essentially guessing that it’s a glitch in the online ordering system and that a software change should have no impact on delivery. Still, it’s in print on the site and makes me very unhappy. Some folks have described similar experiences and got delivery when initially promised. May we be as lucky.

I am a March 31 reservation holder, with a June 28 Order Date. Originally went with AWD, then Performance, back to AWD and then back again to Performance. Now I have settled on P3D Performance Package MSM, Black interior Autopilot. During all of this, my order date only moved forward to Aug-Oct when switching to Performance. On August 6 I was notified of free supercharging and on August 8 I read that Tesla is moving to in-house autopilot hardware that will be free to “Full Self Driving” capability. So, on August 8 I edited my order to include Full Self Driving. I was surprised to learn my anticipated delivery date was then pushed back from Aug-Oct to Oct-Dec.

I am guessing that the change was either due to 1) more performance orders that pre-dated mine, or 2) the full self-driving hardware will come out in a few months and it will be included with my car. I hope it is #2. Thoughts?

@Cell_on_Wheels - We ordered on the dame date - at that time delivery and documentation fee was $1000, now it's $1200, when you changed your order to add FSD, did your delivery/doc fee change to $1200? When we went to edit design to add FSD, we noticed the delivery/doc fee was also changing to $1200 instead of staying the original $1000.

Anyone else add FSD, did your delivery fee change also???