Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding 3rd row to used Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They make threaded bungs that go in like a pop rivet, no welding required.

Keith
I don't think rivet nuts would work in this situation. The holes that need threads are deep holes.
IMG_8214.jpg

I don't think rivet nuts would work in this situation. The holes that need threads are deep holes. View attachment 799935
Rivet nuts go in from one side, no need to worry about the other side unless it is not deep enough.

To quote the advertisements "Rivet nuts create threaded inserts for connecting objects or materials with screws and bolts, generally when the materials are too brittle or thin to support a tapped hole. Also known as blind nuts, rivet nuts install in one side of the material, making them ideal for applications where only one side is accessible, such as in automotive, furniture, and appliance applications."

My concern is the diameter of the holes, they may be too big around for a rivet nut.

Keith

Just NO with no explanation is horrid.
Why, it’s all that needed to be said. You’d have to pretty much gut the interior and install 2nd row, third row, and side panels salvaged from a factory built third row MY. You’re not gonna find those parts on the secondary market, tesla isn’t gonna sell em to you, and there’s not third party supplier; so, a simple no is sufficient.

Why, it’s all that needed to be said. You’d have to pretty much gut the interior and install 2nd row, third row, and side panels salvaged from a factory built third row MY. You’re not gonna find those parts on the secondary market, tesla isn’t gonna sell em to you, and there’s not third party supplier; so, a simple no is sufficient.
Well it only takes one wrecked 7 seater and you can have all you need there, and by the way the rear side panels are not needed, they are different but its just the arm rest and fabric you could def ride back there with the plastic sides.

It would likely be more expensive to convert this than just selling the vehicle and buying a 7 seater. Now if you found a private seller with all the parts in good condition and were able to sell all your cars parts (ie 2nd row) for a similar cost perhaps the cost upgrade would be reasonable. But this would probably be a ton of time finding parts and then finding buyers for yours.

Also, as other mentioned this would probably fail safety inspections, and increase the owners legal liability. I would never want take that risk on someone elses kid or family even if I was confident it was as safe as a normal 7 seat MY. Vehicles and auto accidents are one of the riskiest actions we take.

When you later go to sell the vehicle, you'd probably have major liability for an owner installed seat with owner installed seatbelts. So maybe it would be better to keep all of your original 5 seat parts. But then you get back to the cost of this likely being greater then upgrading the vehicle. Not to mention I'd think you time is worth at least a few bucks an hour.

• Funny
Reactions: t-mo and Fourdoor