Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a lot of plastic to my 3-row Model Y (car seats, protective films, more)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 2021 Model Y for about a week and I've been busy buying plastic. My build is near perfect, but arrived with lots of dirt/grease spots on the seats. Overall it feels so much tighter and quieter than the 2019 Model 3 it replaced. Wind noise is dramatically lower. Suspension is quieter w/o knocks/thuds. Happy so far.

I made a short video showing how I have my 3 car seats arranged as well as what I've done to help protect my car from my kids.

1. Added white door handle decals
2. Added wrap on front door trim (protect from shoes)
3. Rubberized the rear carpet piece that kids step on to enter the car (why is this part carpet?!) Pondered how to make the part more durable and came across Flex Seal. Turned out great.
4. Added performance pedals
5. Purchased a Diono 3RXT car seat that is 3" narrower than my old seat. Fits much better (not in video).
6. Added mat screen cover to better hide finger smudges
7. Added carbon door inserts that I had laying around (meh)

Happening soon:
1. 70% 3M Crystalline Series to windshield
2. 70% 3M Crystalline Series to hatch window
3. 15% 3M Ceramic to front windows (or 20% Color Stable if it matches rear transmission better)
4. 3M clear bra and 12" strip on hood
5. Satin black rear spoiler

20210405_194244.jpg
20210405_083214.jpg
20210405_130143.jpg

Last edited:
And...a few days after my Y arrival, I left my old Model 3 in the street for the first time. My father was coming the following day to buy it and pick it up. I was planning on detailing it that evening but something came up and it ended up sitting in the street overnight. I woke up to the pictures below. Every vehicle parked on the street in our "gated" community had been broken into. Absolutely nothing was in my car as I was selling it the next day. Sentry mode was not on because I had it set to turn off at home (grrr) since it was always in the garage. The alarm did not go off according to Tesla service but they looked through logs and were able to see that the car woke up around 3AM. This agreed with neighbor's cameras that had a view of the street - but only a car could be seen in all of them. The thieves are getting a little smarter and not going into driveways.

Apparently I checked the $50 glass deductible box when setting up my car insurance so that's nice at least. The windows & tint are expected to be fixed next week, but we'll see. We don't have service centers here so it is at a Tesla certified collision shop.
20210402_064128 (1).jpg

I've had my 2021 Model Y for about a week and I've been busy buying plastic. My build is near perfect, but arrived with lots of dirt/grease spots on the seats. Overall it feels so much tighter and quieter than the 2019 Model 3 it replaced. Wind noise is dramatically lower. Suspension is quieter w/o knocks/thuds. Happy so far.

I made a short video showing how I have my 3 car seats arranged as well as what I've done to help protect my car from my kids.

3. Rubberized the rear carpet piece that kids step on to enter the car (why is this part carpet?!) Pondered how to make the part more durable and came across Flex Seal. Turned out great.
5. Purchased a Diono 3RXT car seat that is 3" narrower than my old seat. Fits much better (not in video).

Happening soon:
3. 15% 3M Ceramic to front windows (or 20% Color Stable if it matches rear transmission better)
5. Satin black rear sp

Excellent! The door entry plastic trim and carpet has always been a worry of mine on literally every car I've owned. Shocked that no one has really come up with a protective guard/solution for it.

Happening soon:
5. Satin black rear spoiler

View attachment 651735View attachment 651736View attachment 651737
Definitely have sparked some ideas in me regarding the Y we are considering.