Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding additional Powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a second Tesla solar install scheduled next week. I recently became dissatisfied with the proposed PW layout. I'm trying to better understand my options to relocated / consolidate equipment or scale back the project. Here are some questions I have right now...

Background - Located in Kailua, HI
Existing system - 42 panels (~17 KW), 2 PW 2, 18 months old, picture below
Proposed addition - 12 panels (~4.4 KW), 4 PW 2+ (I think this is what is spec'd but not sure its guaranteed?)
The 4 PW are going to be a bit "scattered" along various parts of my house. Apparently installation parameters have become far more restrictive since my last install.

1. How difficult would it be to add some of these PW later myself? I have read briefly and it doesn't seem too cosmic. For example, could I go from 2-4 or 4-6 without pulling an additional permit?

2. Do the following install restrictions sound correct?
- A PW cannot be installed above another PW
- A PW must be seperated from an adjacent PW by at least 3 ft.
(My existing system has two PW side by side. I assumed we could stack at least 1 PW, maybe 2. I'm told they are too close together to meet newer install restrictions.)

Yes, the code has changed. Your Powerwalls will probably will be scattered around. If you are close to the beach, I would mount them as high as you are allowed.

I don't think that you can self install a Powerwall. Adding some later by a different vendor is likely going to be complicated and cost more.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: arnolddeleon
Can you spread the two side by side Powerwalls apart enough to create two stacks? Then you could stack two new ones on each existing one. Or if not, consider moving the existing two to optimize the installation layout of the six. If you don't want to add all four at the same time, they could be added to the stacks later. (I don't see the picture you mentioned)

Mine are installed in a stack of 3 - and you need some space at the ends. I have less than 3 feet clearance to adjacent stuff on the conduit connection side, and the other side wouldn't need as much, just the switches and the clip on panel that can be removed. Installed earlier this year, in Maryland.

Not sure you need Powerwll 2+ to my knowledge the 2+ is optimized for single Powerwall installations, as it includes inverter/gateway stuff in an additional box on top. Doubt that is something that you would want or need for what you are describing. I believe 4 Powerwall 2+ would be some etra $$ for stuff you don't want, and couldn't use in that config.

Last edited:
I'm told the PW have to be 3ft apart now. If so, I don't think I have enough space to spread them out.

My question was really just: can I add additional PW to create a stack myself?

Also, curious about the suggestion to mount as high as possible when close to the beach. Is that for flooding?

I'm told the PW have to be 3ft apart now. If so, I don't think I have enough space to spread them out.

My question was really just: can I add additional PW to create a stack myself?

Also, curious about the suggestion to mount as high as possible when close to the beach. Is that for flooding?
Yes if it were me, I would install the Powerwalls as high as permitted against rain driven flooding, and tsunamis. I don't know where you are in Kailua, but some (ok, a lot) of it is pretty low lying. I think that both tsunamis and flooding from storms are risks. Depending on where you are even at higher elevations, there is flood risk there, too, from tropical storms and hurricanes. My view is why take the risk?

I don't think that you can just buy a Powerwall, wire it up and expect it to work. Someone with installer credentials needs to configure it, Tesla needs to put it in its database, and Hawaii Electric will want to know that the Powerwall exists and may have views on how much power could be exported from it, etc. Your local AHJ might permit stacking, but it might not. The more recent code is the one that specifies 36" from other batteries, windows and doors to living spaces.

I would work with your installer. Perhaps a garage might work, or perhaps a side hedge could have a concrete wall built that would support your Powerwalls. If you have a flat roof, may be even on the roof.

All the best,

BG