Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding powerwalls to existing Solar Panel installation. Is it possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will need to just look around. Due to the demand on powerwalls now, many companies are not interested in doing powerwalls on existing solar, or if they do, its for prices that are "premium" ones (like 14-15k for one, or 25k for 2 or something).

Tesla doesnt offer powerwalls without solar currently. It isnt a technical limitation, its a "we cant even make enough for all the people who want them for more lucrative solar + powerwalls, so we are not doing them separately) decision.
How about 30K for 2 :(

I’m glad we upped our PW order (back in 2020) from 2 to 3 when we did. We nixed adding 2 panels to our front roof area more due to aestetic concerns and NW placement although neighbors have some of theirs on their front roofs. All our panels are on the side and back roof areas. We came to this conclusion after having lived with the system for awhile and now through the recent extended high heat wave. Also wish we would have gone with another battery. We had the room to double stack another one. It would have been more of a financial stretch to include more but in retrospect worth doing so.

With restrictions now on adding PWs to existing systems and fire code changes in our State area I’m not sure if for us it would now or later be possible. Very glad we have the system we have though and no regrets there. Guess this is just a word to those still in process of configuring your system and thinking about future needs particularly if you plan to stay in your home for a number of years.

There was a time where adding solar and battery backup was not thought to increase the value of your home if you had to sell later; but given power issues and increased weather related issues, I don’t think that’s true any more.

Reactions: BGbreeder and Vines
I’m glad we upped our PW order (back in 2020) from 2 to 3 when we did. We nixed adding 2 panels to our front roof area more due to aestetic concerns and NW placement although neighbors have some of theirs on their front roofs. All our panels are on the side and back roof areas. We came to this conclusion after having lived with the system for awhile and now through the recent extended high heat wave. Also wish we would have gone with another battery. We had the room to double stack another one. It would have been more of a financial stretch to include more but in retrospect worth doing so.

With restrictions now on adding PWs to existing systems and fire code changes in our State area I’m not sure if for us it would now or later be possible. Very glad we have the system we have though and no regrets there. Guess this is just a word to those still in process of configuring your system and thinking about future needs particularly if you plan to stay in your home for a number of years.

There was a time where adding solar and battery backup was not thought to increase the value of your home if you had to sell later; but given power issues and increased weather related issues, I don’t think that’s true any more.

Its like most other things with real estate... location - location - location. If you are somewhere where people have suffered through PSPS (or plural), or someplace where the power is not super stable all the time, and people know about it, there is real value in it.

if you are in just about any place in CA, with as much sun as we get, as much as our utilities charge, and now with these ongoing power safety shutoff's, if you have a system that you own, I believe it definitely adds value.

If you are someplace that has not suffered through all the above, or in states that do not have as much sun as we do, or places that may be seeing this as something that ascribes to politics in some way, then perhaps not so much.

In CA though, pretty much anywhere, Owned solar should be at a minimum neutral, and depending on the location and property, worth a nice little bump. Having the batteries, thats something else, but there are definitely people who would pay a premium for it, if they understand what it is.... and there are more people all the time getting to that "understanding what it is".

Reactions: SMAlset