Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding second Tesla home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i had a professional electrician instal a Tesla home charger by running 220 out to my garage. All is well.

Now wife wants a model Y. My question is how hard is it to add another charger ? Would they have to go thru same process as before and run a new 220 from breaker in basement to garage ?

Also. I park on left side of garage and had charger installed pretty much right by my charge port. Any ideas on getting cord to reach over to right side?

Also if charge cord is on garage floor and gets run over. Any ideas as to how durable.
Thanks

If you can find a matching old-style wall charger, not the new WiFi one, you can run a communications wire between them and they can share the single 220v circuit. You would just need to add a box to split the circuit and send that wire to wherever the new Wall Connector would be mounted.

I don't know what your garage looks like, but if it's a two-car garage I would run the wire over the top and mount the new charger such that you can reach the other car easily. I wouldn't run the cord across the floor to the other car. It's not worth running over the cord by accident. The cord is strong, but cars are very heavy. If you step on it or roll over it with a lawnmower it's not the same as a car.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Wow. Thanks for that. When they installed everything. They installed a seperate 1450 outlet so if the Tesla charger ever fried out. I could just shut it off and use the 1450.

wondering if that may be. A work around with your suggestions I am not handy so will rely on a pro. But that at least helps. Thank you so much.

Wow. Thanks for that. When they installed everything. They installed a seperate 1450 outlet so if the Tesla charger ever fried out. I could just shut it off and use the 1450.

That's great. You don't even have to call the electrician back. Just use the NEMA 14-50 outlet with the new Tesla UMC to charge the 2nd Tesla. You just need to run the cable above your car to your wife's car charge point. There are lots of picture and instruction on this forum. Most people use some kind of pulley system attached to the garage door railing. Try search for "2 chargers in 1 garage" or something like that.

EDIT: Just read @6t8stang post. He is right, they could be sharing the same breaker so probably not a good idea.

Last edited:
They installed a separate 1450 outlet so if the Tesla charger ever fried out. I could just shut it off and use the 1450.

This sounds like the same breaker/wire from your panel might be split to both the charger and the outlet (I hope both cannot be used at the same time - this likely is not up to code and could be very dangerous). The correct way is as described above - two similar wall chargers connected and sharing the power.

Reactions: Watts_Up
So my only concern is they said that i can use one or the other. But not both at the same time. I will upload some pics so we can be sure
Best would be using two Wall Charger to be able to share the load,

Otherwise the NEMA could be disconnected using a current detector when the Wall charger is used,
in a similar way as the Dryer Buddy Auto provides this functionality.

71Cv41PJWUL._SL1500_.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
They installed a separate 14-50 outlet
There are NEMA 14-50 extension cords for RVs that can handle the load, if you got one of the corded Gen 2 Wall Connectors you could run the extension cord over the garage and plug it into the outlet they left.

The suggestion above of connecting using the power-sharing feature of the WC is a good one. But even if you just had them both on the same circuit and accidentally try to charge both cars at the same time the breaker would just blow. But setting up the power-sharing is SUPER SIMPLE, instructions in the WC manual.

Best would be using two Wall Charger to be able to share the load,

Otherwise the NEMA could be disconnected using a current detector when the Wall charger is used,
in a similar way as the Dryer Buddy Auto provides this functionality.

Interesting. I have a similar situation as OP. I currently have a dedicated 14-50 and will be adding a second Tesla. I will not be running another line because the cost would be prohibative (would require a panel upgrade, and run in up two stories, across the attic, down two stories that requires zig-zagging 5 walls.).

I looked at using two wall chargers, but there is likely not enough room where the current charger is (it's only about 6.25" width). It _might_ fit, but it would be tight. Also if I had two wall changers and wanted to keep a 14-50 as a backup, the current sensor would need to be placed before both chargers in case either is used, but the 14-50 currently is on the last leg of the run which means I would have to move the 14-50 to the new charging area (i.e. mid run).

So I think the option I am left with is to leave the 14-50/mobile charger where it is now and add another 14-50 at the other wall w/ a current sensor. Then if the new 14-50 is being used it would cut power to the second 14-50.

Picture attached. The wiring currently runs along the right side of the wall (above where the chair is hanging) in the ceiling space, so I would re-open the ceiling there to run new wiring down for the second 14-50 placing in near that chair.

Is using such a device to code? (Texas?) I would likely hire an electrition as I did to install the original.

Also, would having the power shut off/on to that second 14-50/mobile charger be handled well (Model 3). I am assuming if both are plugged in, the new Tesla would charge and as soon as it was done and goes to sleep (i.e. no shore power) the second would charge. Or would having a mobile charger connected to the first while plugged in always be pulling some current that would not allow the second to charge. Wouldn't want to have to unplug every time to charge.

Open to suggestions before calling for install.
IMG_20200205_125820.jpg

What are these current sensor devices you speak of?

This is why people recommend getting the second-gen Wall Connector as you can hook both of them to the same power and run a comm cable between them too and they will automatically share the circuit's power. Looks like you have lots of space between the garage doors and space next to the chair for the other one.

The trick is to find those old chargers. The new third-gen needs separate circuits to be run. They used to sell those 2G Tesla Wall Connectors that could be plugged into a NEMA 14-50, you could unplug it if you needed a spare and your UMC could go back in your car so you have it for emergencies.

Last edited:
What are these current sensor devices you speak of?

This is why people recommend getting the second-gen Wall Connector as you can hook both of them to the same power and run a comm cable between them too and they will automatically share the circuit's power. Looks like you have lots of space between the garage doors and space next to the chair for the other one.

The trick is to find those old chargers. The new third-gen needs separate circuits to be run. They used to sell those 2G Tesla Wall Connectors that could be plugged into a NEMA 14-50, you could unplug it if you needed a spare and your UMC could go back in your car so you have it for emergencies.

Thanks for the reply, great idea. The current sensors were suggested above with a link to amazon.

First, We'll move the 14-50 to where the chairs are (not too difficult as the run already goes through that area), this will be end of the circuit and be dedicated to the 14-50 outlet. Then connect two gen2's together, one of them next to the 14-50 (chairs) and the second where the 14-50 originally was. The gen2 close to the 14-50 wired via a 14-50 male plug. Then if I need to use the 14-50 I just unplug it which disconnects both wall chargers.

Now to find some used gen 2s.

As for wiring, new wiring and a signal cable can be run as we back out the old wiring for the new location.

Reactions: israndy
2013 S 85, 2016 X 90, sold the S bought a LR rwd 3 in 2018, Y on order- will sell the 3. (Old fart, it will be easier in and out, also treated myself to an awd P . (NEMA 14/50. (50 amp circuit) put in on the right side of the garage in 2013 ( $250.). A second NEMA 14/50 50 amp circuit (separate line from the house main) run over the garage ceiling to the left side. ($325) in 2016. Charge both at 32 amps with time of service discount ( one starts at 10:30 and the other at 2:30 ). Our utility bills have dropped. No issues over 6 years. Perfect setup for us.