Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering buying a 2nd MYP. Add separate second charger or split existing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can now (as of January 12, 2024) get the full $7500 tax credit when buying a Tesla even if your income was "too low" in previous years.

You sure about that? I think the only thing that has changed is that the discount is upfront instead of a tax rebate. That's great, because those who are borrowing at today's high interest rates aren't paying interest on the $7,500.

Pretty sure the income eligibility requirements are still there. Taking the discount at point of sale without being eligible will likely cost you that much at tax time.

Customers who take delivery of a qualified new Tesla vehicle and meet all federal requirements are eligible for a tax credit up to $7,500​

You can now (as of January 12, 2024) get the full $7500 tax credit when buying a Tesla even if your income was "too low" in previous years.

Electric Vehicle & Energy Incentives / Federal Tax Incentives / Consumer Vehicles / New Vehicles​
Customers who take delivery of a qualified new Tesla vehicle and meet all federal requirements are eligible for a tax credit up to $7,500, which can be deducted from the purchase price at time of delivery for eligible cash or loan purchases through Tesla. Customers are limited to two time-of-sale tax credits per year.​
It is not true that the income limits do not still apply, according to this article:

You have to read down a little to get to the important part, which I quote:

"To pass on electric vehicle tax credit savings to consumers at the point of sale, dealers must be registered with the federal government. However, it's important to remember that MSRP price caps and income limits for EV tax credits still apply. Electric cars cannot have a price tag that exceeds $55,000, while electric SUVs cannot cost more than $80,000.

To claim a federal tax break on your favorite qualifying electric vehicle in 2023 or 2024, your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) must not exceed $150,000 (single), $225,000 (head of household), or $300,000 (married filing jointly)."

The article does not discuss what happens if your income is too low to take advantage of the tax credit, but since what the new way of this is basically the buyer assigning to the seller the tax credit, I would bet that is also a requirement to be able to get the $7,500 credit at the point of sale.

I’m using Enelx l2 chargers with load sharing on the same 60 amp switch. I think they are the only ones to offer load sharing tech on the same switch.
I think it is now permissible to connect two Tesla Wall Connectors to the same circuit when using load sharing.

On a 60 amp circuit, if you are using #6 THHN/THWN-2 or #4 NM-B it would be best to use Polaris connectors, or split bolts, in a junction box to tap the wires going to the individual Wall Connectors to the branch circuit wires.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Pretty sure the income eligibility requirements are still there
Yes, the upper income limits still apply. I was responding to a situation where income was "too low" to get the full benefit of the $7500 tax credit. Here's straight from the IRS:

A4. The amount of the credit that the electing taxpayer elects to transfer to the eligible entity may exceed the electing taxpayer's regular tax liability for the taxable year in which the sale occurs, and the excess, if any, is not subject to recapture from the dealer or the buyer.​