Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional Vehicle Information in 2020.4.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I Think you wouldn’t choose the full performance if you wanted to toe.

If you’re towing your max tow rating goes down with the larger wheels and lower profile tire.

I did not get the performance version because I preferred the range… But if I had I would probably have not checked the box. To go with the 20 inch wheels and larger sidewall.

I have a question about firmware 2020.4 firmware.
I have a Model S 2020 delivered in December. Now with 5500 miles on it.
All was pretty good with the normal build problems until 2020 update firmware came out at the end of December. Then I experienced a myriad of problems including a) If I sit in the driver's seat, the voice commands fail to decode. If I sit in the passenger seat, the voice commands work normally. b) On expressways the car tends to slam on the brakes if I am in the center lane and begin to pass a slow truck on the right, then the car may slam on the brakes. c) there are some others, but lets go with these. I got the 2020.4 update a few days ago. The above problems "disappeared" only to return two days later. My Questions: Is this just a firmware problem or is it possible there is a MCU problem? Notes: Resetting the computer from the cockpit has zero effect on the problems. The local Atlanta repair depot has no solutions..

Thanks for comments and suggestions!

I have a question about firmware 2020.4 firmware.
I have a Model S 2020 delivered in December. Now with 5500 miles on it.
All was pretty good with the normal build problems until 2020 update firmware came out at the end of December. Then I experienced a myriad of problems including a) If I sit in the driver's seat, the voice commands fail to decode. If I sit in the passenger seat, the voice commands work normally. b) On expressways the car tends to slam on the brakes if I am in the center lane and begin to pass a slow truck on the right, then the car may slam on the brakes. c) there are some others, but lets go with these. I got the 2020.4 update a few days ago. The above problems "disappeared" only to return two days later. My Questions: Is this just a firmware problem or is it possible there is a MCU problem? Notes: Resetting the computer from the cockpit has zero effect on the problems. The local Atlanta repair depot has no solutions..

Thanks for comments and suggestions!

For item b), I assume you are on AP? If so, it’s probably the new “adjacent lane speed” feature (see attachment).

As is common with new AP features, it will probably take a few iterations to perfect and behave more “naturally” but I like the overall idea of this feature. When I am driving at “max” speed in the carpool lane and the lane on my right is in a stand-still, I like that my car slows from “max”. It feels unnatural and unsafe otherwise. You are probably experiencing this feature kicking in with a large truck in your adjacent lane, so again, the AP still has room for improvement.

Attachments

• 02423D30-C28B-4518-9043-16DEEEB59CE1.jpeg
    02423D30-C28B-4518-9043-16DEEEB59CE1.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 83
For item b), I assume you are on AP? If so, it’s probably the new “adjacent lane speed” feature (see attachment).

As is common with new AP features, it will probably take a few iterations to perfect and behave more “naturally” but I like the overall idea of this feature. When I am driving at “max” speed in the carpool lane and the lane on my right is in a stand-still, I like that my car slows from “max”. It feels unnatural and unsafe otherwise. You are probably experiencing this feature kicking in with a large truck in your adjacent lane, so again, the AP still has room for improvement.

It is one thing to "slow down" if you are in the center lane with a truck on the right running much slower. It is quite another to JAM ON THE BRAKES so as to frighten the passengers (and the driver) are grossly disturbed!

I think only 30% of the replies in this thread actually pertain to the thread topic... :rolleyes:

You’re being way too generous :D

I don’t think most people read the subject of this thread. They saw 2020.4.1 and figured anything related to that release was worth bringing up here..

How do we get moderators to move all the off-topic posts elsewhere? @ecarfan @bmah etc.

Reactions: PoitNarf
You’re being way too generous :D

I don’t think most people read the subject of this thread. They saw 2020.4.1 and figured anything related to that release was worth bringing up here..

How do we get moderators to move all the off-topic posts elsewhere? @ecarfan @bmah etc.

I’ve been trying to respond to unrelated posts in the appropriate thread, lately...

It is one thing to "slow down" if you are in the center lane with a truck on the right running much slower. It is quite another to JAM ON THE BRAKES so as to frighten the passengers (and the driver) are grossly disturbed!
The event you are referring to is called "phantom breaking" and my Model 3 used to come across this often on all software versions since I go the car a little over 4 months ago. It did get a bit better with the 2019.40.50.7 update and I have not had it happen since I got the 2020.4.1 update. The issue for me happened mostly near overpasses on motorway and if the sun was going down behind the overpass leaving a shadow on the road. The breaking done by autopilot was very abrupt and sharp in those cases and would most likely cause anyone following too close to crash into the back of the car. Over a few months I developed a sort of habit of holding the accelerator pedal down a bit when approaching overpasses in that kind of situations with the sun direction and all and managed to limit those events to less than once a week. I have not had to hold the accelerator since the 2020.4.1 update and have not had that happen, but I have only had the update for less than a week, so cannot say if this has been fixed.

Now to keep it on topic, the Additional Vehicle Information for my car does not really give me much besides the IMEI number for the cellular connection that the car has :) Lets hope they add more useful information there in the coming updates.