Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjusting Mirrors in Reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, there is a reverse adjustment and forward adjustment. With or without profiles.

You can shut tilting if you want but it helps a ton to avoid curbing tires. I often pop it in reverse just to have a look even when pulling forward.

Yes I like the tilt but only when parallel parking. So how do I adjust the reverse tilt? So put it in reverse and then adjust the mirrors?

Yes, position them the way you want them, save your driver profile.
Nope.

That works in the Model S. Not in the Model 3.

Hi there,

Is it possible to adjust the mirror position when reversing or disable the tilting all together?
You can disable tilt, but you cannot adjust tilt angle, or tilt only the passenger side mirror (as on every other car sold in the USA with this feature). An egregious and unsafe decision by Tesla software programmers.

Last edited:
What cars specifically?

Ours is a 2019 Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor with premium package. Passenger side mirror tilt angle cannot be adjusted and saved, and driver’s side mirror tilt cannot be defeated.

Meant the Model 3s (2019 AWD as well as the MR) Don't feel like going downstairs to test but I am pretty sure just put in reverse, adjust, save profile worked. Could be mistaken but before adjustment mirrors tilted much more.

Meant the Model 3s (2019 AWD as well as the MR) Don't feel like going downstairs to test but I am pretty sure just put in reverse, adjust, save profile worked. Could be mistaken but before adjustment mirrors tilted much more.
You would be the first owner in this forum to report success doing this as far as I can recall.

Also, you stated mirrors tilted much more. We would be interested to know if you can defeat the driver’s side tilt (Reverse>Adjust L&R Mirrors>Save Profile>Park).

Last edited:
Don't over think this while adjusting your mirrors. One basic thing to remember is, make a change? Save your profile. Make a change, save your profile.

Put the car in Reverse, adjust the mirrors. SAVE the Profile.
Put the car in Park. SAVE the Profile.
Put the car in Drive or leave it in Park, and adjust your mirrors. SAVE the Profile.
Now check your work. Put the car in Reverse. Did the mirrors tilt where you wanted them? Put the car in Drive - back up?

Make a Change? Save the Profile.

Don't over think this while adjusting your mirrors. One basic thing to remember is, make a change? Save your profile. Make a change, save your profile.

Put the car in Reverse, adjust the mirrors. SAVE the Profile.
Put the car in Park. SAVE the Profile.
Put the car in Drive or leave it in Park, and adjust your mirrors. SAVE the Profile.
Now check your work. Put the car in Reverse. Did the mirrors tilt where you wanted them? Put the car in Drive - back up?

Make a Change? Save the Profile.
Excellent advice.

Problem is it doesn’t work when attempting to adjust side mirror tilt upon Reverse, and driver side mirror tilt cannot be defeated so it operates like every other vehicle in the USA.

As has been previously verified in these forums by multiple owners.

Tesla, time to fix this.

Last edited:
I'd vote for having the car tilt only the correct mirror down to see the curb when reversing. If parallel parking on a two-way street, that's the right (passenger) mirror (since I'm in the US and the car's LHD). If parallel parking on a one-way street, the car should know which side of the street it's on and tilt the driver's mirror if parking on the left or the passenger mirror if parking on the right.

And have both side mirrors being able to remember their positions when reversing.

It'd be great if we could adjust the mirrors in reverse - I've tried and failed several times. I like getting within 3" of the curb and this car's rear wheel is too recessed into the body to see the rim in the default setting. Have to lift my ass & try to avoid it ramming into Park.

Reactions: tvad
I find this extremely annoying. I tried many times to adjust, but it hasn't worked. Unless I move to England or Japan, I have no reason whatsoever to drop the driver's side mirror in reverse, and this combined with a high rear deck makes it harder to back out. The screen doesn't compensate enough for my natural inclination to check my mirrors. Seems an easy fix and I don't know why they won't at least allow a defeat of one side's movement.

Reactions: Stach and tvad