Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice for buying used 2-3 year old Model 3 in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a low mileage driver so can't justify the expense of buying new but would like at least a year's warranty (I had a lot of reliability problems in the last 4 years of owning my 2016 Model S). I do ocassional longer journeys so would prefer a long range model. I don't need performance. I'm looking for a dependable car that just works, not a hobby!

What should I be looking out for when buying a 2-3 year old Model 3? I think there was a new version in 2021 - should I aim for that?

Is it worth paying the premium of buying used from Tesla?

What is the consensus on Model 3 reliability?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

My Fremont one was great so don’t worry too much imo

Used ones from Tesla have been checked out by them and anything needing doing they’ve done already

You’d be unlucky to have any problems with any, go for what you like and can afford and enjoy it

Just listing some of the issues I had with my Fremont built M3 LR:
Bad panel fitment leading into more wind noise and panel gaps.
Bad seal fitting on passenger side, it sounded like the door was open and Tesla said it is within spec even though passenger could feel cold air come in during winter.
Paint letting go in the front wheel arches leaving behind bare metal.
Paint being sand blasted of the canals because of no protection, even with mud flaps.
Water leak in trunk, took Tesla 3 tries and still not 100 % waterproof.

Bad panel fitment and bad paint job are common issues with Fremont made cars.

Is my understanding correct that if you buy used you still have the Tesla warranty, which is the first of 8 years or 100,000 miles?

This is from the Tesla UK website of a 2019 used model 3:

Used Vehicle Limited Warranty​

1 year / 10,000 miles
Starting from your delivery date

Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty​

September 2027 / 100,000 total miles

Very limited warranty

So if you buy from a third party, do you still have the 100,000 mile warranty from Tesla ?

Not sure how it works in UK, but in Norway it works like this:

It should have 100,000 mile warranty from when it was bought new from Tesla and none of the previous owners bought it used from Tesla.

So if the car has gone 95,000 miles from new then you only have 5,000 miles left of the Tesla warranty when you buy it. The third party may give you some additional warranty.

Reactions: MD70
Update from me: I just placed an order with Tesla for a used 2021 M3 LR AWD. It was build in China and has over 2 years of warranty (inc the extra 1 year used warranty). I must say its a weird feeling to buy a used car completely unseen but I was assured that if it didn't meet my expectations I could refuse to take it and get a full refund. Finger's crossed its ok.

Thanks for the advice here.

Reactions: SiW80