Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 HW2.5 vs 2020 Model 3 HW3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I'm going to be buying a used Tesla Model 3(2018-2020) directly from the Tesla website within the coming days, and wanted to know if there is a big difference between HW2.5 and 3.0, and whether or not it's worth it to. I plan to be using Autopilot a lot, as I'm a frequent freeway driver. However I have a couple questions about the older (2018) Model 3's:

1)On the used car inventory site on Tesla, do 2018 Model 3's listed with FSD have hardware 3.0? Do 2018 Model 3's listed with Enhanced autopilot also have hardware 3.0?
2)If I end up getting a 2018 Model 3 with basic autopilot(HW2.5), will it still be able to function well on the freeway?

I'm currently looking at 2 models: A blue 2018 LRM3 with enhanced autopilot, and a 2020 Standard Range M3. Which of the 2 should I pick? Mileage/price does not matter in this particular case.

Thank you! This is the first time I'm buying a car, and the second Tesla my family will have. I just want to get a good used M3 :)

I'd say that if you are sure that you will only desire EAP (enhanced autopilot), then a HW2.5 car should be okay. I believe that FSD (full self drive) requires HW3.0 for the latest software releases.

Early Model 3s initially came from the factory with HW2.5. My own 2018 LR RWD was this way. Shortly after I bought the car, I broke down and bought EAP (car still had HW2.5). About a year later, I also bought FSD. That gave me the "free" hardware upgrade to HW3.0 (done in my driveway by mobile service). So it's possible that the 2018 you are looking at still has HW2.5. If you can get in contact with Tesla Sales, they should be able to tell you what HW the car has.

As far as "functioning well" on the freeway, my EAP worked to my satisfaction. Lane keeping and pacing the car in front was without problems. Stop-and-go commuting was relaxing once I had more faith in the system. I did have some "phantom braking" early on but nothing bad enough to cause an accident. However, I still hover my foot over the accelerator when using FSD, just in case I need to avoid getting rear-ended (if I decided that there's really nothing in front of me to be concerned about).

A 2018 will have already passed the 4 year basic warranty period; the 2020 definitely not. The 50,000 mile basic warranty may, or may not, have been exceeded with either car. All things being equal, I'd opt for the 2020 car if the main battery degradation is not that bad and the range offered by the SR is adequate for your needs. The Standard Range had an initial range of 250 miles; the 2018 Long Range was 310. Assuming that the 2018 has 10% degradation, that's 280 miles. My 2018 with 28K miles is about 5%. Assuming that the 2020 has 5% degradation, that's 238 miles. If you're going to be using the car mainly for work commutes (<100 miles a day), then either car will be okay. If, on the other hand, you envision taking long trips (~1000 miles), a LR will probably work out better.

Upvote 0
Short answer, newer Tesla is usually better as it is more "future proof" as software/feature change.
Currently, there should be no diff between the two cars for (EAP). The biggest difference between 2018 HW2.5 and 2018 HW3.0 is the MCU and that is only relevant for FSD. You would need to upgrade to MCU2 in order to use FSD. If you purchase FSD ($6K for EAP equipped cars), then the MCU upgrade is free. However, if you want the ability to utilize the FSD subscription($99/mth for EAP cars), then you would have to pay for the upgrade the 2018 to MCU2 ($1,750 cost per Tesla). Advantage 2020 for ability to utilize FSD subscription.

Future considerations - when the mythical V12 FSD comes out (Q? 2024) and EAP is rolled into the FSD one stack, There is a no guarantee that EAP for HW2.5 and HW3.0 will be the same. Although it's hard to guess where that difference would be for freeways but maybe diff in ability to handle construction or for multi lane non-divided highways.

Road tripping - the 2020 SR smaller battery and slower charging speed (125kW vs 250kW) means that you will have more charging stops and longer charge times. Example for a 300 mile trip to Vegas, 2020 SR+ will require 2 charging stops (11 & 17 min) vs 2018 LR which only needs 1 stop (14 Min).

Upvote 0
I had my 2018 Model 3 upgraded from 2.5 to 3.0 (FSD) computer. I have basic autopilot and I can say that the lane keep assist is so much better now. The visualizations are great since you now get stop light detection which wasn't available for 2.5 as well as other features. I don't have the dancing cars on screen issue with v3.0 like in v2.5. Overall made the car more stable. I would highly recommend upgrading to FSD 3.0 computer.

Upvote 0
My HW3 cars both have radar hardware, but it has been deactivated via software update.
That it not the case on HW2.5 cars... At the moment I see no advantage in having this "Tesla Vision" thing. Are there any?
Some people think Tesla Vision is better in certain respects when using AP. It certainly hasn’t been any worse in my experience, and might be better. It seems it’s only a matter of time before radar will be disabled in HW2.5 cars too. Especially now that HW4 is out, I can’t see Tesla investing in any development to make HW2.5 work better.

Upvote 0
Short answer, newer Tesla is usually better as it is more "future proof" as software/feature change.
Currently, there should be no diff between the two cars for (EAP). The biggest difference between 2018 HW2.5 and 2018 HW3.0 is the MCU and that is only relevant for FSD. You would need to upgrade to MCU2 in order to use FSD. If you purchase FSD ($6K for EAP equipped cars), then the MCU upgrade is free. However, if you want the ability to utilize the FSD subscription($99/mth for EAP cars), then you would have to pay for the upgrade the 2018 to MCU2 ($1,750 cost per Tesla). Advantage 2020 for ability to utilize FSD subscription.

Future considerations - when the mythical V12 FSD comes out (Q? 2024) and EAP is rolled into the FSD one stack, There is a no guarantee that EAP for HW2.5 and HW3.0 will be the same. Although it's hard to guess where that difference would be for freeways but maybe diff in ability to handle construction or for multi lane non-divided highways.

Road tripping - the 2020 SR smaller battery and slower charging speed (125kW vs 250kW) means that you will have more charging stops and longer charge times. Example for a 300 mile trip to Vegas, 2020 SR+ will require 2 charging stops (11 & 17 min) vs 2018 LR which only needs 1 stop (14 Min).
Grins,
Would love som hints on how your calculated charging speeds and where the information is published. Trying compare MS 2018-2019-2020. Charging times for road trips.

Thanks

Gerry

Upvote 0