Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on carbon fiber care?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

I bought a carbon fiber spoiler and side mirror caps from @Tsportline (sorry but not sorry for tagging you) and installed them on my car in Oct 2019. I never applied any wax or ceramic coating on it, but I keep my car in the garage. In fact, because of COVID, I worked from home all of 2020 and drove maybe 1,000 miles that year - so my car just sat in the garage this whole time. Unfortunately, these parts still turned yellow after about a year. The clear coat on the spoiler also started to fade. (I did contact them, a month out of warranty, and they did offer me some credit to purchase something else from them. Not the response I wanted but I get it.)

Anyway, I'm about to take off the side mirror caps and purchase new matte finish caps from RPM Tesla. I've learned my lesson before and fully expect a product with 💩 epoxy and a gel coat. (If you have these from RPM Tesla, I would love to hear how they have held up). What is the first thing that I should do when I get these parts? Do I put a ceramic coating on them to help protect them from yellowing? Turtle wax? Is this an every week or month maintenance thing? What do you guys do to keep your carbon fiber from turning yellow?

Reactions: Jejunjm
I got the rpm tesla carbon fiber front lip and dashboard about 1.5 years ago. I had matte ppf applied to the lip, and I coated the ppf with carpro cquartz uk 3.0. I use carpro reload every couple months as a topper for the cquartz. The dash i coated with cquartz uk 3.0 as well. I park outside at work 4-5 days a week, garaged at home. Use sunshade to cover dashboard. No yellowing so far. Hopefully haven’t jinxed myself.

Reactions: St3phen
I have the mirror caps. (In fact I'm on round two, first car was totaled, long story). They have been great, I spray 303 on them about every month or two. I also park outside full-time! Hope you enjoy them, they look great on the car!
Because of this thread (and some research) I bought 303 on Amazon and treated my CF mirror caps and side camera covers just today. Thanks for the advise!

Reactions: Hayden