Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on whether spacers will be needed for my new tire setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I have a white 90D MY 16 (facelift) and just ordered a set of new wheels and tires. The OEM setup is the staggered turbines with 8.5x21 ET 40 245/35-21 in the front and 9x21 ET 40 265/35-21 in the rear. For my updated setup, I opted for the Corspeed Deville in silver with a red accent.

corspeed-deville-silver-brushed-surface-undercut-color-trim-rot-felge-mit-reifen-silber-in-21zoll-alufelge-auf-weissem-tesla-model-s-typ-002-mit-15mm-tieferlegung-industriehalle-1-camera-001-1920.jpg

The new dimensions are;
Front: 9x21 ET 35 245/35-21
Rear: 10.5x21 ET 40 295/30-21

Now is the question whether I will require spacers to install the wheels or not? Are there any suggestions or thoughts from forum members experienced with a similar setup?

Thanks

Hi @pardegerman ,

Just FYI, not a conclusive answer or advice:

My setup in the rear is 285/30 R21 with 10x21 and ET 38 and the tire is already almost touching the fender when you look at it parallel to the car. So based on your change and the info on http://www.willtheyfit.com the rim will be 19.1mm wider on both sides (inside AND outside). Using spacers to prevent the rim touching the strut might result in the rim/tire touching the fender on the outside.

Good luck in getting this sorted out. The setup looks brutal though so I hope it does fit :)

Is there any space between the wheel and the strut on your setup?

Yes there is, but I it’s no more then half an inch (1,3 centimeters). Tried to take a picture (attached), but as mentioned before it’s all tight and little to no room to get a good picture. Not only is there little room between the rim and the strut, I also see there is little to no room between the inside fender and the rim. I’m always driving with the suspension on ‘low’, simply because it looks better. Maybe that’s adding to the equation. If so, too bad. Not gonna change to other then ‘low’. No issues with tire wear in that position, although some people say it does wear more.

Attachments

• D6EDEFAE-BE86-4206-BF68-6DBB7D0CABC4.jpeg
    D6EDEFAE-BE86-4206-BF68-6DBB7D0CABC4.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for the pics guys, exactly what I need. :D
I guess it'll make sense to add a 3-8 mm spacer to achieve clearance. I'll get back here as soon as the wheels are on the vehicle (back order as of now, so it seems it'll be another two weeks or so).

I ended up using a 5mm spacer for the rear wheels and no spacer for the fronts. Without the rear spacer the protruding center bolt popped off the center caps. I made a (very short) test drive this evening and had no issues whatsoever with scraping.
I'll post another picture tomorrow when I have had the time to wash the car.

20200513_211535.jpg

20200513_211548.jpg

20200513_211631.jpg