Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Requested - Used vs New

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want some opinions on my dilemma. Our timeline for desiring new car is based on our teen turning 16 in July. Obviously this is a want.

We were looking for a 100D with FSD with 5 or 6 seats. We found a 5-seat 2019 (4/19 build, 2000 miles grey with white interior) no FSD, no free supercharging locally (via Tesla) for 79,900. This seemed like a good deal for so few miles and local so we put the $100 down.

With the range just boosting to 351 miles I’m wondering if we are better off with a new one for the price difference.

I’m pretty frugal. So the extra money grates. However, we regularly drive from our house in Bay Area to just outside Bend, OR. There’s a lot of incline and no supercharger between Klamath and Bend. The 5 seater is attractive based on cargo space because our two dogs (75 and 65 lbs) are used to having the whole cargo area to themselves. The 6 seater is prettier IMHO.

So my dilemma is - 1) all checks out get this car, 2) buy new (more $$$) or 3) look for 6 seater with FSD and supercharging hoping there will be more trades with Y deliveries starting.

Thoughts? And thank you!

I was in the same boat back in December. I did a LOT of shopping around and found that either the price of a used X was either low when there was a lot of uncertainty as to condition, or high if from a reputable seller. Given that the X now comes with most all features included for free (premium sound, while multi-coat, autopilot, unlimited supercharging, towing, cold package, etc) I bought a brand new X with 5-seat configuration. We're a family of 5 and my youngest is now 14. With a 6-seat configuration, you can still only seat 5 adult-size people because the third row seat is so tight that one set of legs has to fill the spot between the two middle-row seats. But with a 5-seat confg, three people can comfortably sit in the second row with plenty of legroom. My White X Long Range with Black/White 5-seat interior cost $87,790 (88,590 out the door with all fees) which, back in December 2019, was about 5%-8% higher than I was seeing for a high-quality used. And given the fresh warranty with new, federal rebate (which disappeared in 2020), for me buying new was the better way to go. Note that I live in Oregon where there is no sales tax.