Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't decide!! Used S vs new Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife also hated our S. It was pretty much the same dimensions as my LX570. Yes it has a large trunk, but so much of the rest of the space is just wasted. Both my wife and I think the seats in the 3 are way better.

Also per the discussion personally I much prefer the drive and handling of my LR awd 3 to the S we had. The 3 has a similar driving feel to the sports cars I’ve owned (m3, s2000, 996 turbo and 997 4s but not the gt3 RS). The S was numb and boring (except in a straight line).

As per the back seat. As someone with older teens and has coached elite teen athletes for 25 years. Teens (even one that is 6’4”) will fit in either back seat and honestly it they want to be around you seating space won’t matter. If they want to be independent or defiant they wouldn’t want to ride in the back seat if it was a Bentley/Maybach/Roles/….

I've ridden in the back of both the 3 and S quite extensively. The S does not have noticeably more space.

Lastly for any car I don’t think I would ever buy a 5+ year old used car over a new car for a similar price with similar specs/performance. Comparable older cars just have more problems. And I will say other than our Teslas I mostly buy 1-2 year old used cars so someone else took the depreciation hit but I still get a mostly new car and a warranty.

Respectfully…..any version refresh S is an upgrade over 3.
My plaid was in the shop for service. I had a model 3P for 4 days.
In every driving metric and especially aesthetically the S was significantly better. I Couldn’t wait to get my car back.
Was like comparing an entry-level Mercedes to an AMG. I’m not just speaking about speed either. To each their own.👍
Well you are talking plad. You could have bought three model 3p’s for the roll out price of a plad… Hardly a fair comparison.

When they did the major price drop on the plad last summer I strongly considered one for a moment.

Well you are talking plad. You could have bought three model 3p’s for the roll out price of a plad… Hardly a fair comparison.

When they did the major price drop on the plad last summer I strongly considered one for a moment.
The MSLR is better in every way outside of handling the the M3. It's just a much nicer car. While the 3P is slightly faster to 40 mph, the LR kills it after and in a 1/4 mile. It's the best of both worlds, comfort, interior size, luxury, speed, etc.

The 3/Y are low end Tesla products and the S/X are the high end and while they may not have the luxury of a Mercedes, it's a huge step up, especially in the refresh S.

While that is objectively true... I've owned a lot of cars, and the Model 3 was by far the best vehicle I've ever driven other than my previous Model S. So even a "low end Tesla product" is still pretty friggin awesome.
I agree, but the luxuries are lacking compared to the S/X. Especially in regards to interior and ride quality. The 3/Y are rough rides comparably.

I still like my MYs, just not to the level of the S.

You'll love the S. Even better if you can find a 2021 with center horn and turn signal stalk, you might even save more money.
That's a pre-refresh with the vertical screen. IMO, a huge step back in all other areas. I like the stalkless yoke, but even if you don't the rest of the upgrades are pretty big in the refresh including range, battery chem, acceleration, handling, interior, especially in the rear seat with the phone chargers and screen.

Reactions: cwanja and dsm363
That's a pre-refresh with the vertical screen. IMO, a huge step back in all other areas. I like the stalkless yoke, but even if you don't the rest of the upgrades are pretty big in the refresh including range, battery chem, acceleration, handling, interior, especially in the rear seat with the phone chargers and screen.
It also has ultrasonic sensors. If the price is right, worth it I think. Palladium was introduced June 2021 I thought and also has ultrasonic sensors until they removed them recently this year I believe.

But my main point was that's just one thing to consider if trying to find a price that matches the Model Y.

It also has ultrasonic sensors. If the price is right, worth it I think. Palladium was introduced June 2021 I thought and also has ultrasonic sensors until they removed them recently this year I believe.

But my main point was that's just one thing to consider if trying to find a price that matches the Model Y.
That's correct about USS, but you do lose out on HW4, which is important if you want to use FSD. If USS are important, they can be found in 2021/2022 MS, assuming Tesla doesn't eventually disable them like the did the radar.

The pre-refresh/Raven is considered Legacy and there's already a long list of new features they do not get like blind spot camera/turn signal camera, remote Sentry view, etc. More will come.

Both my wife and I think the seats in the 3 are way better.
The seat frames in (current) Model S are exactly the same as Model 3 -- the bolstering is a little different, but they're almost identical. In theory you could unbolt a 3 seat and replace it with an S, and vice versa. I'd compare the original Model S seats to a park bench, but that's an insult to benches.

Also per the discussion personally I much prefer the drive and handling of my LR awd 3 to the S we had. The 3 has a similar driving feel to the sports cars I’ve owned (m3, s2000, 996 turbo and 997 4s but not the gt3 RS). The S was numb and boring (except in a straight line).
I also wouldn't judge much by a pre-Raven Model S .. the Raven suspension was a gigantic improvement, and Palladium a bit better yet. If you haven't had a chance, give a current-gen Model S a test drive. I'd really love to hear how you think the current S compares to the cars you mention -- and especially the older S. I don't think it feels like a small car but I do think it handles quite nimbly for a full-size sedan...

As per the back seat. As someone with older teens and has coached elite teen athletes for 25 years. Teens (even one that is 6’4”) will fit in either back seat and honestly it they want to be around you seating space won’t matter. If they want to be independent or defiant they wouldn’t want to ride in the back seat if it was a Bentley/Maybach/Roles/….
Quoted for truth. My 6'4" son (and yes he plays b-ball) doesn't have a headroom issue in either car but finds the S much more comfortable.
I mean, most comfortable of all is my wife's X, but he doesn't want to be seen in the X. The falcon wing doors are embarrassing, apparently. (To your point ... dang teenagers.)

Reactions: coleAK
Two comments.
The latest Highland Model 3 refresh is reported to have much better rear seats.

Perhaps the real solution to your dilema is to test a Model X. Much greater rear seat comfort, easier entry/exit for tall people, lots of space for people and cargo, still pretty fast etc. Biggest issue is that it does not look as cool as the beautiful Model S.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

The seat frames in (current) Model S are exactly the same as Model 3 -- the bolstering is a little different, but they're almost identical.
Does that carry over to the Model Y as well? Because the seats in the Model Y loaner I just returned were AWFUL. And it was a 2023 Model Y. The bolstering dug into my thighs and was hurting after a short drive. My Model S? Zero issue. And I am not a "big" guy in terms of wide ass.

Does that carry over to the Model Y as well? Because the seats in the Model Y loaner I just returned were AWFUL. And it was a 2023 Model Y. The bolstering dug into my thighs and was hurting after a short drive. My Model S? Zero issue. And I am not a "big" guy in terms of wide ass.

Yes - the 3/Y seats are absolutely identical - same part numbers and everything. The only difference is that the Y seat tracks are mounted up on "stilts" so the seat sits higher ... but the actual seat is 100% the same between 3 and Y.

Model S is just bolstered differently, but same frame.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 2.57.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 2.57.04 PM.png
    537.9 KB · Views: 30

Despite the news attempting to draw bait by referencing the Tesla, the fire started in the basement at the electric panel and the car wasn't even charging. Even though it may not look that bad from the picture in the article, the house was extensively damages. It was basically a 100% loss on the inside. Both cars were totaled. That was years of my life I hope to never repeat.