Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aerial video of Fremont factory, showing LOTS of Tesla ready for delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can picture the shorts/bears now: "Demand plummets as unsold cars pile up at factory".

(Never mind that those cars are built to order and that there are tons of shipping containers on hand to transport all those sold cars to delivery centers where customers are located.)

I suspect this is an old video, though it was posted this week. I don't see a single Model X and there are a bunch of Signature Red Model Ss. Unless those are old cars that Tesla bought back as trade ins, there would be no reason to have lots of Signature Red Ss parked at the factory.

Loads of MX - noticed some on the side of one compound with their boots open (@1.05) :)

Time to put some solar panels on that huge roof eh?

You're right, I just watched it full screen on a larger monitor. I wonder if it was a trick of the light that was making multi-coat red cars look signature red? It does appear to be shot in the late afternoon, the shadows are very long.

They do have a large number of cars on site. I noticed the delivery tents were up, so some are probably local deliveries. Others are probably sitting waiting for transport and still others are inventory cars.

I don't know what the situation is in other parts of the world, but in Portland, OR the inventory is low right now. I dropped off my car to have a vent issue looked at on Wednesday and the service rep wasn't 100% sure she could give me a Tesla loaner until I got there. She said they used to have 20 cars for loaners, but they're down to 10 now because their loaners keep getting sold.

You're right, I just watched it full screen on a larger monitor. I wonder if it was a trick of the light that was making multi-coat red cars look signature red? It does appear to be shot in the late afternoon, the shadows are very long.

They do have a large number of cars on site. I noticed the delivery tents were up, so some are probably local deliveries. Others are probably sitting waiting for transport and still others are inventory cars.

I don't know what the situation is in other parts of the world, but in Portland, OR the inventory is low right now. I dropped off my car to have a vent issue looked at on Wednesday and the service rep wasn't 100% sure she could give me a Tesla loaner until I got there. She said they used to have 20 cars for loaners, but they're down to 10 now because their loaners keep getting sold.
I thought loaner cars in Tesla service center are usually Tesla that is 2 years old or more. With the right price, I guess that could be sold quickly as well.

The loaner they gave me was an early 2016 70D. From the VIN I think it was built around March of this year. She said they had two red loaners and we got the newer of the two.

I don't know what their criteria is for loaners. When I was there in June to pick up my car the service center was over flowing with lease returns. They said they were having a tough time finding the time to turn them around for the CPO program. They had two truck loads of brand new cars come in while I was there. This was at the height of the Model X problems when Tesla had the service centers do another inspection of the car before delivery.

They moved delivery a few doors down to another industrial park. The place where my car was parked resembled a storage locker and there were a lot of Xs undergoing inspection nearby.

This last time there weren't that many cars around (about a dozen outside), so I don't know what they did with all the used cars. They must have sold a lot of CPOs this year. I would have held back some of those 2013s and 2014s for loaners. Some of the high mileage cars are probably more valuable as loaners than resale.

The loaner they gave me was an early 2016 70D. From the VIN I think it was built around March of this year. She said they had two red loaners and we got the newer of the two.

I don't know what their criteria is for loaners. When I was there in June to pick up my car the service center was over flowing with lease returns. They said they were having a tough time finding the time to turn them around for the CPO program. They had two truck loads of brand new cars come in while I was there. This was at the height of the Model X problems when Tesla had the service centers do another inspection of the car before delivery.

They moved delivery a few doors down to another industrial park. The place where my car was parked resembled a storage locker and there were a lot of Xs undergoing inspection nearby.

This last time there weren't that many cars around (about a dozen outside), so I don't know what they did with all the used cars. They must have sold a lot of CPOs this year. I would have held back some of those 2013s and 2014s for loaners. Some of the high mileage cars are probably more valuable as loaners than resale.
thanks for the insights. Not sure if that's sights of chaos, or simply too much demand and delivery that overwhelm everyone.

On https://ev-cpo.com/ there are 16 CPO and 44 inventory cars listed as available in San Francisco. There are also a few new Model X listed. Some of those cars are in stores, and people who have bought CPOs have said if they go to a Tesla store and talk to someone, they have access to more cars than publicly listed.

It makes sense to store used cars at the factory if there is space. The used cars can be returned to the factory on the same trucks that delivered new cars to distant locations and if a used car is sold, the car can go onto a truck with a shipment of new cars to the same destination.

Nobody has ever quite figured out how Tesla batches cars, but batching them for color makes a lot of sense. So does batching them for country of destination. Cars bound for Europe have a bit of a different mix of parts than cars built for North America. For one thing the charging ports are different. There may be other differences.

It would make sense for Tesla to build say a large number of the white cars destined for North America in the queue all at once, then store some of them until there was enough cars built to go to a given destination. Say there are two white cars going to Salt Lake City, one blue, 3 black, and a red. And a truck load is six cars (I think it may be 8, I don't recall at the moment). They are painting white cars today, blue tomorrow, black on Friday, and red next Monday. The cars built this week may go into storage until the red car rolls off the assembly line and a full truck load can be assembled.

Do this for every region of the US and you have a lot of cars stored at the factory at any one time, but if you tracked individual cars, you would see they sit a week or less.

When I worked at Boeing, I worked across the street from Flight Test where they did the final check out before customer delivery. All jetliners built in the Puget Sound area are flown to Boeing Field, checked out, then sent on to the customer. At any one time, there were 20-30 planes parked at the Flight Test center, but they were coming and going every day. One day there would be 7 planes for a Japanese airline there, but a few days later they would all be gone and replaced with planes for a Spanish airline.

The video is only a snapshot and you can't tell one white Model S from another without looking at it fairly closely.