Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 2021.36.5.5 update, app cannot run Google Maps on my Android phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like an Android 12 issue then. Whether the fix is up to Tesla or Google, all one can do is wait.
No, it's not Android 12. Both Android11 and 12. I uninstalled The Tesla app 4.2.x and then got the last 4.1.x, and it works fine. So, it's a Tesla issue. Been waiting through 3 updates now, and there's no way to even know if they are aware of the problem, because they have no way to communicate with the app team. I tried multiple avenues, and the best solution they could offer was to bring my car to a far-away service center next month. Even though it's not a car problem, and the service center will surely know nothing about the app.

Thanks for the confirmation. I can confirm that a 4.1.x version from APK mirror does work.
Good sleuthing!
Did you try Tesla's Contact Us chat support?
Yes, that was my 2nd attempt, after trying the support email address posted on the app store (unmonitored). The chat asked a lot of questions, and I explained everything multiple times, plus said I had a screen shot. He's the one that finally said I should enter a service request using the app. The service request wasn't really equipped for app issues at all, and had no options other than a visit to a service center about 20 miles away (including one bridge with tolls). That doesn't seem too far, but it's a very congested area in the SF Bay Area.

I called an actual human at my local showroom, and learned that when scheduling a service visit from the app, someone reviews it and can get more information to make decisions. So I went through it again, and this time it actually had mobile service as an option. I scheduled a service and got a message fairly quickly asking for some basic information, where I responded that it was not a car problem. Next message said they would send the information to the app team, and cancel the service. So now I will wait and see if the app team ever contacts me, as I didn't give the details, only that there was a bug in the latest version.