Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App issues since Samsung update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

After a Samsung update this week my Tesla app is corrupted, I have deleted cache and reinstalled the app but it's the same, Samsung are trying to say it's a Tesla app issue which I disagree with, anyone now how to fix this? Thanks.

1700994278371.png

1700994350217.png

Reactions: bonkers
Yes I had 'the' problem. Not with the same exact symptoms, but close enough to make me believe my experience may be relevant, particularly since I got the problem solved. So here is the story for your amusement and potential aid. Sorry it's so long.

Wednesday Nov 21 at around 9:00AM, my Samsung Galaxy S22 would not make or receive phone calls or messages. Attempting either would send the phone into an endless loop of blank white screen and keypad view flipping back and forth and the only escape seemed to be, managing to get the phone turned off and restarted. Then I could play solitaire, check my calendar, all the usual, except any attempt to send messages or make a phone call = back into the endless loop.

Being on AT&T, first step was to go to ATT.com and get the contact phone number and call it on my neighbor's phone. (Can't just call 611, since my neighbor isn't on AT&T). After a long wait on hold, AT&T was terribly sorry I was having problems and would be so happy to fix it for me. After insisting on walking me through all the same steps I had already tried, trying different phone numbers, restarting the phone, checking for updates, etc., they really couldn't do anything, but would happily transfer me to the support tech at Asurion who would quickly fix it for me.

Now repeat the same above paragraph with the Asurion tech and another 4 hours of attempting the same things which didn't work for her either. But she finished by transferring me to the support tech at Google. He was much more efficient and within a couple of minutes announced that Samsung had on Tuesday, Nov, 20, sent out a software update which was pushed to the phone without any required approval and screwed up the phone and it would have to be them to fix it and transferred me to Samsung.

Now repeat the same paragraph above with Samsung. After 6 hours of their efforts, including taking control of the phone and trying various things and getting me to do things on the phone when they would lose control and scores of turn off / reboots. The Samsung tech finally concluded it would have to be fixed by the Samsung engineers and they would certainly fix it, "within the next 24 hours".

Now my life began to get pretty crazy:
My daughter is in a nursing home and they are trying to call me about her, and I'm not answering?
Her children are trying to call me about her and I'm not answering - Oh crap does grandad not have a problem too?

A surprising number of other friends, neighbors, relatives and probably a bunch of telemarketers are terribly worried (because the combination of my vintage and not answering the phone or text messages seems sinister), are starting to take various measures!

I gave up and Friday Nov 24th, took the phone to my local AT&T store and suggested that since I have been paying the bill every month, including the insurance protection charge on my phone to cover lost, stolen or other failure, I would like them to fix my phone or give me one that works.

After 4 or 5 hours at the AT&T store, doing all the same things over again, they decided the only solution would be to give me a phone that works, except they didn't have one - however I could file an insurance claim and when it is approved, AT&T will send me a new phone. So we did that. In a few hours I got an email from AT&T that the claim was approved and they would be sending me a phone. Oh, and by the way, they would be charging $200 to my AT&T bill for the deductible and if I didn't return my old phone to them within 30 days they would add another $245.

The used, not new, phone they sent, arrived the next morning. I following their instructions, called the installation phone number (on my neighbor's phone). He walked me through moving the Sim card from my old phone to my new(?) phone. Connecting the two phones together and getting the transfer of data / apps started. He promised to call me back (on my neighbor's phone) in 90 minutes to see how it was going. Never heard from him again.

The new(?) phone was able to make phone calls and send messages. I had to manually transfer a lot of data that didn't make it, but in 12 hours or so was pretty much back to ground zero. The Tesla app forced me to re key the new(?) phone and it then worked just fine, so I would be able to drive it back to the AT&T store Monday where we will discuss charging me $200 for fixing the problem they created and whether they will require me to resort to small claims court?

There was a heart stopping moment this morning when I checked the phone and there was a message from Samsung that they had forced a NEW update to the software on my phone! But it still works just fine. It was kind of a warm fuzzy that so many people panicked when I didn't answer my phone for 4 days. :)

Reactions: Ron Burgundy