Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After Deep Sleep, Won't Wake Remotely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After my Model 3 goes into deep sleep, e.g.; overnight it won't wake up remotely and requires a physical wakeup like opening a door. I have the same problem with unplugging the charge cord, and must open a door first. Even the Service Center had the problem when trying to do an update. They called me and I had to open a door to wake the car so the update could begin.

This isn't normal is it? What might be the cause?

...I had to open a door to wake the car so the update could begin.

This isn't normal is it? What might be the cause?

That happens a lot when you leave your car parking in an airport for some times and it would go to a deep sleep that you can't wake it up remotely until you are back to your car physically to open the door.

Deep sleep is a good thing to conserve energy but I am not sure about overnight. Too soon to require a physical wake up!

I would say "not normal" but I am not sure there's any cure for it unless Tesla would re-write their deep sleep program.

Waking these cars up after a long period of time is a lot like waking up a teenager at 6AM on a Saturday. They take forever to get going some somehow do some weird stuff in the process. Recently, after my MS sat for a week, it took a bit for the door handles to present, and the mirrors didn't unfold. Normally the door handles pop out and the mirrors unfold all at once. Sometimes the screen takes a concerning amount of time to boot up as well. Unfortunately this is normal.

Sentry mode will keep the car awake forever if you want to take the vampire battery hit.
Not accurate. I had Sentry Mode on at the airport and was unable to wake my care for two days. It was an anomaly as I usually can, but it wouldn’t wake for some reason. It’s happened a handful of times. Parked in nearly the same spot each week with a strong signal.

I’ve occasionally had a sleeping beauty not want to be kissed. Doesn’t happen often but did tonight when I drove to a restaurant where I’ve had reception problems I think before. Didn’t turn Sentry on before getting out and when I went to look at my app the car wouldn’t wake after a few minutes. Ended up having to walk out to the car to open it and set Sentry. Back inside before leaving went to check the app and the car was back to sleeping and not waking up. Now I’m home and app works fine with car awake. I’ve always felt maybe the metal and concrete in this ground floor restaurant, with car even parked along the building outside, has something to do with my situation at this location. My husband also pointed out that there are mountains to one side and he knows when we dine across the street we can’t get a cell signal inside there either. So at least in my situation tonight more of a lack of cell phone to server to car issue issue than the car not wanting to wake up for some other reason.

Last edited:
A couple of things I didn’t mention in my original post:

1. The car won’t wake up remotely even when parked in my garage with solid WiFi signal.
  2. I never have this issue with my Model X which is parked right next to the Model 3.
  3. About 20% of the time I have to fiddle with my iPhone (bring up main screen) to open a door.
Maybe it will fix itself when I get the new computer for FSD?