Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After Market Alarms?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I’m new to the forum, so apologies if there is an existing thread for this.

I own a 2015 Model S (her name is Joan Jett ) that has now had the passenger AND driver rear corner windows smashed in the last 30 days, one at work and one last night in front of the restaurant I was at. There was absolutely nothing in my car or, as the jerks found out, the trunk either. I realize I need to take off the privacy cover in the trunk to avoid this in the future, I guess I had to learn the hard way. Unfortunately my insurance deductible is higher than the window replacement, so I’m out of pocket for both and pretty damn tired/frustrated.

Before I become completely irrational and trade in my current S for a newer model that’s compatible with sentry and the new anti theft package, has anyone had any luck with an alarm system that also would cover the windows being shattered?
Thanks in advance, I’m desperate for a solution here because now I’m just paranoid.

...and in the SF Bay Area, who pays attention to a car alarm? The perps are in and out in 30 seconds. Who will confront them? Police will not respond. It is a misdemeanor now in CA. Feel free to search these forums for way too many posts on the subject, especially where you (& I) live.

...and in the SF Bay Area, who pays attention to a car alarm? The perps are in and out in 30 seconds. Who will confront them? Police will not respond. It is a misdemeanor now in CA. Feel free to search these forums for way too many posts on the subject, especially where you (& I) live.

Yep, all too familiar with lack of police follow up on burglary/theft/whatever. I just feel like I need to do something in order to hold on to my sanity! Lol. For now, a dash cam and removing the stupid trunk cover that I should have removed weeks ago.
I feel like Tesla should at least give us older model owners a screen saver that LOOKS like sentry mode right? A decoy! I was even thinking we should get some people together and invest in making some good decals for the screen...anyone have experience in that kind of thing? But really- a fake screen saver would be awesome and probably drain less battery <shrug>

The cops don't care about property crime in the Bay area. It's basically legal to steal and smash.

Sentry mode doesn't actually help that much, plenty of cars with it have been broken in to.

The AP2.0 cars did get a fake sentry screen.

Sentry doesn't seem to really be noticeable until the window is smashed.

One time I activated (?) Sentry mode when I tried to get the handle to appear when the car didn't sense the fob. I only knew it happened because I got a message that there was one incident when I entered the car. At the time of activation, I didn't notice the screen at all, and I was standing by the driver door. A thief breaking a back window is unlikely to notice, unless it's nighttime and the light from the screen catches the eye.

Sorry this happened to you twice.