Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket power tailgate and frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'll give it a shot... BUT i'm no authority and i havent installed the v3 trunk

I believe there are 2 variants of the openers. Teslaoffer and Hansshow, but i (speculate) they both buy the same base kit (lifts, wiring, control box) from someone else in china.

Teslaoffer has a different/custom firmware on their box. Their box communicates with the Tesla software via the canbus; responds remotely via the fob or phone app. (until tesla changes the software then you'll have to reflash the firmware with an update) ~ $600

Hansshow is what a lot of vendors/resellers use and is basically cheaper. It does not communicate with the canbus but has limited control via the Tesla screen in V2; responds remotely via the fob or phone app. The install on V3 is said to be a pia and dropping the bumper is the preferred way of running the wires. ~$450

i'll give it a shot... BUT i'm no authority and i havent installed the v3 trunk

I believe there are 2 variants of the openers. Teslaoffer and Hansshow, but i (speculate) they both buy the same base kit (lifts, wiring, control box) from someone else in china.

Teslaoffer has a different/custom firmware on their box. Their box communicates with the Tesla software via the canbus; responds remotely via the fob or phone app. (until tesla changes the software then you'll have to reflash the firmware with an update) ~ $600

Hansshow is what a lot of vendors/resellers use and is basically cheaper. It does not communicate with the canbus but has limited control via the Tesla screen in V2; responds remotely via the fob or phone app. The install on V3 is said to be a pia and dropping the bumper is the preferred way of running the wires. ~$450
I can confirm that installing V3 Hannshow power trunk on my Model 3 is a PITA, it took me at least 10 hours, their instruction guide has huge gaps and I had to watch 3 different videos to finish the install. They also forgot to send the controller, so that added a two week delay.
Here are my Hannshow V3 power trunk instructions, I did not install the foot sensor.

1. Make sure you have all the parts, my kit was missing the controller! That added 2 weeks delay
2. Follow DIY guide
Tesla Model 3 electric tailgate installation instructions - Version 3.0 | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow

But these are terrible and miss many important steps and pictures. I had to watch older install videos of V2 that helped with the first half especially the tail light removal and install.

3. Hardest part was installing the connectors under the rear shelf. I found no videos showing how to do this, I read the DIY guide but it was very confusing.
4. To install the battery connection I had to watch this video

I had to buy a metric socket set + T45 socket head.

Now to close it all up...