Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DO NOT Buy Products from Tlyard for TESLA!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was interested in the Model Y Power Frunk kit, which I originally saw available on Hansshow’s site, but I found it cheaper on Tlyard’s website so I bought it from them. HUGE mistake!

They had a 3-pack deal they were offering, so I bought the Model Y Power Frunk kit, the Rear Lift Gate Kick Sensor, and the Bluetooth Remote Front Passenger Seat Adjustment controller.

BOTTOM LINE: It was a PITA to install the power frunk kit. My buddy helped me, and it was still a MAJOR PITA! There are no TESLA after-market accessory installers in my area, so I had to drive my TESLA 350mi (each way) to a technician who would work on my non-working power frunk kit that was installed. In the end, I paid him $404 to learn that he believes the power frunk kit’s control box is faulty. :-(

I met another TESLA owner at a SC along the way, and he said he installed the rear lift gate kick sensor on his Model Y, but it would get triggered and open his lift gate when he would go through the automatic car wash!!!!! Needless to say, I am NOT going to install that accessory!

I spent about 10 days going round and round with Tlyard (not kidding), trying to get them to honor their 2yr warranty that is listed on their website. They have only wasted my time with hoops to jump through, so I am disputing the charge with my CC as a last resort. Even if I end up getting all of money back from my CC, I am STILL out the $404 I paid the technician AND I have a power frunk kit installed that DOES NOT work!

TAKEAWAYS: If I could do it all over again, I would NOT purchase or install ANY major after-market accessories like the rear lift gate kick sensor or power frunk kit. I just wish that TESLA made the frunk powered. Minor after-market accessories are probably fine, especially those that work inside the vehicle. Just BEWARE!

I bought a rear screen for my 3 from Tlyard. I experienced some problems and they were super responsive and provided great after-sales service.

Power frunk kits are a pain to install in the Y mostly due to the location of the strut but this really doesn't have to do with the brand of kit but rather design of the Y itself. No idea what Tlyard sells for the frunk kit but the only place I'd recommend for a trunk or frunk kit is EVOffer. They have a great collection of installation videos and they are accessible for technical support. Their tech support person (Raymond) does lots of installations so has a great knowledge of the kits and is great at troubleshooting.

As for the carwash trigger, this was something EVOffer addressed in their kits through a firmware update soon after carwash mode was introduced by Tesla. So in carwash mode, the trunk button can still open the trunk but the foot sensor becomes disabled. I think EVOffer is the only trunk kit supplier that has done this. For the Y, their site shows a trunk foot sensor that has what they call an "extra"option that prevents foot sensor activation in carwash mode or when the hazards are turned on. The downside is that their foot sensor is more expensive than the others but this appears to be a true case of you get what you pay for.

This might be way too late for OP but for other people in the future, I got my Power frunk kit from EVOffer, and the manufacturer (the same factory makes these for hansshow, evoffer, tlyard, aliexpress,etc, THERE IS ONLY ONE MANUFACTURER) switched the POWER and GROUND lines by mistake. Other people also had this problem. The solution was to either swap the wires in the plug or flip the power and ground connectors in the car. It was a huge pain and headache figuring out what the issue was.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Apropos of nothing but having searched for various bits for my car, it seems clear that as said above there is basically one major Chinese manufacturer of these parts, and a seemingly infinite number of distributors. You can’t really rely on the name at all, they might as well be called anything. Customer support is obviously the only differentiator and unfortunately that can vary considerably, and also be great one minute and not the next.

Whilst these brands ostensibly have a warranty, I wouldn’t say you could really have peace of mind over it. I’ve had a warranty replacement via EVOffer, but I also recently placed an order with them and nearly 2 months later it hasn’t been shipped. Raymond used to be very active with customers, instilling confidence, but he seems to have removed himself from customer support for some time now, funneling all tech support through a Telegram contact which (in my experience at least) can take days to reply.

I also replaced my rear lights on my Model 3 recently, buying some Chinese parts off eBay. From the looks of how they turned up they are identical to the OEM units. They probably are the same company that makes them for Tesla, the only visual difference I could see was the lack of a Tesla sticker. I did note that on one of my lights the electrical connector was reversed, compared to the OEM unit, which confused me for a few minutes when I was trying to work out why my plug wouldn’t go in. Fortunately it is a keyed plug as otherwise who knows what might have happened.

So yeah, you can get some parts at decent prices, but you’re in the lap of the Gods in terms of support, both in the short term and in a year or so if something goes wrong. That might be a situation where it’s best to go with a US company and paying the premium, even if you know they are just dropshipping, just for peace of mind.