Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Rear Glass Questions:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) I understand the center panel is just held in place with sealant, but I also understand the rear glass is supposed to be structural. But, how is the rear glass actually attached?

2) If one removes / disconnects the rear glass defroster, would the car throw any fits?

Bottom line, I am just exploring making my own glass-mat or even CF roof and rear panels (saving ~55lb).

Last edited:
1) I understand the center panel is just held in place with sealant, but I also understand the rear glass is supposed to be structural. But, how is the rear glass actually attached?

2) If one removes / disconnects the rear glass defroster, would the car throw any fits?

Bottom line, I am just exploring making my own glass-mat or even CF roof and rear panels (saving ~55lb).
The rear glass is just glued in with a urethane sealant, just like the windshield. The two wires that plug into the defroster will not cause any error messages to pop up, and neither should disconnecting the FM antenna connector that goes to the amplifier. You use a wire to saw away at the sealant around the glass, like you would on a windshield. If you want to see the full procedure on the Tesla Service Manual, look for 10 - Body > 1020 - Windshield and Body Glass > Glass - Backlight (Remove and Replace).

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood