Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear windscreen exploded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello

I was wondering anyone could shed any more light into this.
Barely had the tesla y then a week the rear windscreen exploded and shattered into pieces.
As I entered the tesla heard loud implosion and saw rear windscreen crumble.
On inspection notice no object to caused it and puzzled by it all.
So the autoglass people came and did a wrap temporarily as they couldn’t get the replacement fitting windscreen as it had to be ordered.
they suggested potentially the heating instrument on the rear glass could of made the glass shatter into pieces which could be a manufacture fault in the rear screen.
On speaking to tesla providing images of the shattered rear window and comments from autoglass.
There only response was estimate cost which seems frustrating as you have to go to app to deal with it all.
The estimate is £1100 which could be more on further inspection form my understanding.
I am waiting from my car insurance to hopefullyapprove and reimburse me as autoglass cannot give me a timescale as it could be weeks when they could replace as tesla would be only viable option

Anyone able to provide any help

I attached images of the rear shatter screen
Just wanted to know anyone had that issue

Attachments

• IMG_3953.jpeg
    IMG_3953.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_3950.jpeg
    IMG_3950.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3949.jpeg
    IMG_3949.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3959.jpeg
    IMG_3959.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 137
Thanks evryone
Yeah I opened a service request it been a slow process and lot of back forthing
So far they have sent a cost estimate £1114.95, but have not acknowledge fault.
So I am assuming I will have to somehow claim this back through insurance if they agree to it.
My concern this may happen again

Thanks evryone
Yeah I opened a service request it been a slow process and lot of back forthing
So far they have sent a cost estimate £1114.95, but have not acknowledge fault.
So I am assuming I will have to somehow claim this back through insurance if they agree to it.
My concern this may happen again
They always list an estimated cost at first, once they have the car they'll update it as needed.

Update:
So had the estimate cost been forwarded to my insurance company they approved it now. Thank god!

Now waiting on from Tesla to give me a date, which i chased again, They couldnt provide an ETA and when i spoke to them again they suggested it could be a good few weeks to when it available :(

Right. I see that you're in the UK, so what follows probably doesn't apply. And it's a blame windshield, those aren't small.

But, a couple of years ago, the front right on my car found a rock and tore the sidewall. New tyre, of course. And it happened to be only 8 months old, so, could pretty safely put a new tyre of the same make and model on the wheel. But the problem was that the manufacturer, Michelin, had stopped building that make and model; nobody local had one.

A couple of hours of dedicated internet sleuthing revealed a dealer (specializing in race car components.. what the heck) had a couple in stock and was willing to ship it the 1000+ miles from Texas to me in New Jersey. Did that thing; the shipping was only $85 or so, and the local Service Center was happy to accept it and mount it.

Fun thing: That's a tyre. Not an Amazon 5" x 5" x 5" box kind of thing. And it showed up in two days. I think it went by air, thank you FedEx/UPS/Whatever.

So.. I've heard rumors that California is one of those places on the planet where glass for Teslas is relatively abundant, given the sheer numbers of the things wandering the landscape out there. Um. How much could it cost to ship a rear windscreen from CA to the UK? Weird things about import duties? Don't know, but, if you've got the part numbers and an internet connection, you could check.

Reactions: iluveletric88
hello

I was wondering anyone could shed any more light into this.
Barely had the tesla y then a week the rear windscreen exploded and shattered into pieces.
As I entered the tesla heard loud implosion and saw rear windscreen crumble.
On inspection notice no object to caused it and puzzled by it all.
So the autoglass people came and did a wrap temporarily as they couldn’t get the replacement fitting windscreen as it had to be ordered.
they suggested potentially the heating instrument on the rear glass could of made the glass shatter into pieces which could be a manufacture fault in the rear screen.
On speaking to tesla providing images of the shattered rear window and comments from autoglass.
There only response was estimate cost which seems frustrating as you have to go to app to deal with it all.
The estimate is £1100 which could be more on further inspection form my understanding.
I am waiting from my car insurance to hopefullyapprove and reimburse me as autoglass cannot give me a timescale as it could be weeks when they could replace as tesla would be only viable option

Anyone able to provide any help

I attached images of the rear shatter screen
Just wanted to know anyone had that issue
Commiserations! That is really hard luck. You have owned the car for a week, did you buy it new?

I have never suffered a rear or front screen breakage and I am surprised that, considering how much costly glass our cars have, that it is not warranted. Let's hope that having inspected the damage, Tesla will conclude or concede that it was probably a spontaneous failure due to a manufacturing or fitting defect and will step up. Worst ways, I would push for a good will contribution to the replacement costs.

less then a week and that happened, the car was from new.
honestly never experienced anything like this at all just crazy, yeah hopefully tesla will see it an issue with the glass itself rather then a unknown object that caused this
Not end of the world the insurance offered to pay for it and the cost for me is a small excess of £75.00.
Let see now just a waiting game for the parts to come

Right. I see that you're in the UK, so what follows probably doesn't apply. And it's a blame windshield, those aren't small.

But, a couple of years ago, the front right on my car found a rock and tore the sidewall. New tyre, of course. And it happened to be only 8 months old, so, could pretty safely put a new tyre of the same make and model on the wheel. But the problem was that the manufacturer, Michelin, had stopped building that make and model; nobody local had one.

A couple of hours of dedicated internet sleuthing revealed a dealer (specializing in race car components.. what the heck) had a couple in stock and was willing to ship it the 1000+ miles from Texas to me in New Jersey. Did that thing; the shipping was only $85 or so, and the local Service Center was happy to accept it and mount it.

Fun thing: That's a tyre. Not an Amazon 5" x 5" x 5" box kind of thing. And it showed up in two days. I think it went by air, thank you FedEx/UPS/Whatever.

So.. I've heard rumors that California is one of those places on the planet where glass for Teslas is relatively abundant, given the sheer numbers of the things wandering the landscape out there. Um. How much could it cost to ship a rear windscreen from CA to the UK? Weird things about import duties? Don't know, but, if you've got the part numbers and an internet connection, you could check.

Oh wow amazing! Like most things trying to get things into uk is difficult I would
Be stung by the import duty and to arrange something like that would take weeks and by time it ships into the uk, And not sure insurance would pay for it all.

But thanks for suggestion something to consider or suggesting to tesla uk, as they said if they can’t get the parts from any other service centre it a case to get it from gigafactory Berlin.
But they say the parts there few others also waiting for, so wasn’t sure if it a first come first serve basis.
Hopefully it get fixed soon

Oh wow amazing! Like most things trying to get things into uk is difficult I would
Be stung by the import duty and to arrange something like that would take weeks and by time it ships into the uk, And not sure insurance would pay for it all.

But thanks for suggestion something to consider or suggesting to tesla uk, as they said if they can’t get the parts from any other service centre it a case to get it from gigafactory Berlin.
But they say the parts there few others also waiting for, so wasn’t sure if it a first come first serve basis.
Hopefully it get fixed soon
Actually.. find a site in CA or wherever that got one, select it, and try to buy it. Before hitting, “Pay”, you’ll be prompted for the shipping and/or billing address. If the back end system knows about shipping internationally, your shipping costs and such will appear automagically; if it freaks out, then either try some different, perhaps more enlightened spot or, well give up.

FWIW, I bought a refurbishment kit for an Epson printer from somebody in the UK last year and something else, can’t remember what, from somebody in Hong Kong a couple years ago. No problems with either. Currency conversions were handled by the credit card company, I believe. And the card I use happens to do international conversions without extra fees, not something typical for US banks.

Actually.. find a site in CA or wherever that got one, select it, and try to buy it. Before hitting, “Pay”, you’ll be prompted for the shipping and/or billing address. If the back end system knows about shipping internationally, your shipping costs and such will appear automagically; if it freaks out, then either try some different, perhaps more enlightened spot or, well give up.

FWIW, I bought a refurbishment kit for an Epson printer from somebody in the UK last year and something else, can’t remember what, from somebody in Hong Kong a couple years ago. No problems with either. Currency conversions were handled by the credit card company, I believe. And the card I use happens to do international conversions without extra fees, not something typical for US banks.
I have important several items from the USA and yes, shipping and tax adds significantly. However, if I must have I must pay. 🙂

less then a week and that happened, the car was from new.
honestly never experienced anything like this at all just crazy, yeah hopefully tesla will see it an issue with the glass itself rather then a unknown object that caused this
Not end of the world the insurance offered to pay for it and the cost for me is a small excess of £75.00.
Let see now just a waiting game for the parts to come
If Tesla will not accept it as a warranty issue then of course you have to claim on insurance.
Let's hope that the underwriters put it down to accident/malicious damage/act of God or ( large) bird strike... anything but .... " Ah ha! Tesla glass spontaneously implodes. Better include that as a premium increasing Tesla risk."
😊

Um. Back in 2018/2019, when the SO and I got our M3, on the forum I inhabited at the time, there were reported a number of M3 rear windows that became broken during the first six months of ownership. If memory serves, the characteristic fault was a horizontal crack, with a vertical crack intersecting that horizontal crack in the middle, making a kind of "T" shape. Left to its own devices the cracks would extend in length until the window collapsed; or, at least, until the owner saw it and complained.

Initially there was a bit of pushback from Tesla; those of us on the forums thought that Tesla was trying to determine if this was some kind of bizarre road hazard or not, But after a month or two of this Tesla began replacing those rear windows without argument as a warranty repair.

By early 2019 the reports of this problem kind of fell off the radar, either meaning that Tesla was replacing the window so fast that users didn't have time to complain or, more likely, they jumped on the windscreen manufacturer and got them to clean up their act.

In the meantime.. In the US, there have been posted the occasional YouTube video where some malefactor comes wandering down a street with a sledge hammer, or, in a drug/alcohol-fused haze, jumps on the the roofs/windows of cars, breaking windows. And then there's the real winners, like this guy in Brooklyn, NY, who happened to own a glass shop. (This was before car monitors or even street corner monitoring cameras were generally available.) Said crook would show up in his car in the dead of night, pull out a long hammer, and bust a window, then leave rapidly. He kept this up odd nights for a couple of years, until finally one or two always-on-and-record cameras caught him in the act. Apparently, all this was done to improve the number of cars with broken windows showing up at his shop; he ended up in prison for a few years, if memory serves.