Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket roof tint percentage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Noflash

Aug 11, 2020
Denver
Listings
On my MYP I am using a shade on the roof. It's fine, but a little buggy. On my wife's MYLR we are going to try a dark enough tint to not feel heat on our heads. Does anyone have experience with what percentage this may require? We are a mile closer to the sun in Denver and before I started getting my windshield done I could feel my knuckles on the steering wheel burning in the sun. I really don't want to spend $550 on roof tint and then have to buy a roof shade next July. So 25%? 15%? 5%?

Thanks in advance.

I did 20% on my Model 3 and it's way too dark. It works well to reject the heat in summer though. On my MY I'm thinking about going 70% ceramic. Should still help with the sun and have good visibility. One of the coolest features of the MY is the roof glass, I'd hate to go too dark. Would like to hear what others say...

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash
I considered getting it tinted, but the only place I trust charges a lot to do it. It was either 600 or 800, I forget. I also wasn't sure I'd like it once it was done, and then what? Re-do it again with a different % ? Ugh.

I ended up with a Jowua sunshade for $100. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to installing anything, but this wasn't hard and I totally forgot it was there until last week when I looked up to track a plane and went "oh... yah, can't do that" . It stays in place, no issues, no light leaks either.

I will just remove it and fold it up this Winter and re-install next year summer.

Had I gone with the tinted roof I would have gone really dark like 20-25. But the sunshade is just more versatile IMO and far cheaper. I did have them do the rear side windows and rear window at 40 and I like it. The front sides are at 70 which is the legal limit in CA.