Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint xPEL XR PLUS - Blue Hue to it...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
XPel XR Plus

55% Windshield
15% two front
45%two rear
15% hatch

* I do have a sunshade in the roof did not tint the roof so there is no light coming In the vehicle

I recently got my tints done by a company that has a good reputation. However, there were two things I mentioned that I wanted to avoid.

1 - the potential of having a blue look to the tints. They said that there wasn’t hue blue look to it and that it was going to look black like traditional

By the photos, you can clearly see the blue and it's really bugging me. I’m not used to it. I even ask if maybe the XPel XR Black would be a better option ( keep in mind I have never had this ceramic installed before so I trusted them ) I went to the most expensive one solely because I was told I was not going to have a blue hue

2 - I was looking for a shadow type of coverage not 5% full black. They recommended 55 and it feels like I don’t even have 70 on the windshield. Yes, it blocks heat and all that wonderfully but I just wanted more dark front windshield as I live in Florida I have always done this way.

Because it's BARELY noticeable on the two front windows... I was thinking of changing the windshield tint to XR Black at 45% and keeping the XR Plus in everything else...

I also believe the white interior has a lot to do with it but wonder if anyone here that has the same interior has done the same..

Another option would be to change all tints to XR Black and be done with it to assure no blue but my tint company seems like will accommodate to whatever needs to be done.

thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2262.JPG
    IMG_2262.JPG
    680 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG
    631.8 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_2331.jpg
    IMG_2331.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_2332.jpg
    IMG_2332.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 334
XPel XR Plus

55% Windshield
15% two front
45%two rear
15% hatch

* I do have a sunshade in the roof did not tint the roof so there is no light coming In the vehicle

I recently got my tints done by a company that has a good reputation. However, there were two things I mentioned that I wanted to avoid.

1 - the potential of having a blue look to the tints. They said that there wasn’t hue blue look to it and that it was going to look black like traditional

By the photos, you can clearly see the blue and it's really bugging me. I’m not used to it. I even ask if maybe the XPel XR Black would be a better option ( keep in mind I have never had this ceramic installed before so I trusted them ) I went to the most expensive one solely because I was told I was not going to have a blue hue

2 - I was looking for a shadow type of coverage not 5% full black. They recommended 55 and it feels like I don’t even have 70 on the windshield. Yes, it blocks heat and all that wonderfully but I just wanted more dark front windshield as I live in Florida I have always done this way.

Because it's BARELY noticeable on the two front windows... I was thinking of changing the windshield tint to XR Black at 45% and keeping the XR Plus in everything else...

I also believe the white interior has a lot to do with it but wonder if anyone here that has the same interior has done the same..

Another option would be to change all tints to XR Black and be done with it to assure no blue but my tint company seems like will accommodate to whatever needs to be done.

thank you in advance.

Its due to your light white interior for sure....you can always go a shade of two darker with the white.

IMO it still looks good, I have 3M Ceramic IR film and its MORE blue than yours and even with the black interior it seems to be lighter than other films.

I have 55% on the windshield and 35% on the rest of the car. I wouldn't go darker on the windshield because you do lose some visibility and detail at night for sure, but wish I went darker on the sides. Oh well, next time!

Attachments

• 868A90F0-2496-4C82-987C-874E89CC6854.jpeg
    868A90F0-2496-4C82-987C-874E89CC6854.jpeg
    519.3 KB · Views: 273
  • image_50372097.JPG
    image_50372097.JPG
    873 KB · Views: 270
  • image_50372609.JPG
    image_50372609.JPG
    483.4 KB · Views: 271
Side note....seems that tinting over late model Tesla's factory tinted glass is a huge waste of time and money.

Unless of course you need/want it darker than the approx. 15% factory VLT level.

All you really need to do is the front doors and windshield on a current Y/X for example.

Here's one about the the Model Y/3...and this is by a tint shop that takes money for tinting. ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: BC-LR and TespaceX
I don't have the windows in our MYLR tinted yet. But I can can tell you that compared to my Subaru Ascent with 80% 3M Crystalline on it, in direct sun the Ascent is much cooler than the Tesla. It's typically over 100° daily here, and I can definitely feel the heat in the Tesla much more than in the Ascent.

I don't have the windows in our MYLR tinted yet. But I can can tell you that compared to my Subaru Ascent with 80% 3M Crystalline on it, in direct sun the Ascent is much cooler than the Tesla. It's typically over 100° daily here, and I can definitely feel the heat in the Tesla much more than in the Ascent.
How dark is the 80% Crystalline film? Is that on your windshield? I guess the 80% actually has a VLT of 62%. Just had it installed but haven't seen it yet. Didn't know the VLT was actually before 70% so will see what it looks like soon.

How dark is the 80% Crystalline film? Is that on your windshield? I guess the 80% actually has a VLT of 62%. Just had it installed but haven't seen it yet. Didn't know the VLT was actually before 70% so will see what it looks like soon.
80% Crystalline does not look very dark at all. I have it on my side windows. I'm kind of loathe to installing tint on my windshield because most will cause rainbows with polarized sunglasses. Plus as I get older, seeing at night has become more difficult. And I live in an area that has no street lights so it's really dark on the roads around here.

Reactions: dsm363
80% Crystalline does not look very dark at all. I have it on my side windows. I'm kind of loathe to installing tint on my windshield because most will cause rainbows with polarized sunglasses. Plus as I get older, seeing at night has become more difficult. And I live in an area that has no street lights so it's really dark on the roads around here.
They do make a 90% tint but not sure about polarized glasses. The 50% on sides isn't too bad at night but the 80% is pretty clear so am happy with it. I would have been happy with 80% on sides too. Probably should have gone with 70% on sides but it's ok. No need to remove what I had installed.

You could always do 50% to the A1 line on windshield. Help a little with sun.

They do make a 90% tint but not sure about polarized glasses. The 50% on sides isn't too bad at night but the 80% is pretty clear so am happy with it. I would have been happy with 80% on sides too. Probably should have gone with 70% on sides but it's ok. No need to remove what I had installed.

You could always do 50% to the A1 line on windshield. Help a little with sun.
I've had darkish tint in the past on a Jeep Cherokee. It made seeing at night too difficult. If I were to tint the windshield at all, I'd probably just stick with the 80%. Even at 80%, on our hot 110° days in the summers, I can feel the difference in the amount of heat hitting my forearm when I'm driving. Without the tint, the window sill is unbearably hot. With tint, I can actually place my forearm on the window sill without getting burned.

Reactions: dsm363
I've had darkish tint in the past on a Jeep Cherokee. It made seeing at night too difficult. If I were to tint the windshield at all, I'd probably just stick with the 80%. Even at 80%, on our hot 110° days in the summers, I can feel the difference in the amount of heat hitting my forearm when I'm driving. Without the tint, the window sill is unbearably hot. With tint, I can actually place my forearm on the window sill without getting burned.
Agree. I had 70% around the car for years. It was a little warm when the sun was out but not bad. I think people go way overboard with tint all the time. When even 80% tint (in an EV especially where you can precool the car for 5 min before you get in) cuts about 35% of the heat and 99% UV.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Side note....seems that tinting over late model Tesla's factory tinted glass is a huge waste of time and money.

Unless of course you need/want it darker than the approx. 15% factory VLT level.

All you really need to do is the front doors and windshield on a current Y/X for example.

Here's one about the the Model Y/3...and this is by a tint shop that takes money for tinting. ;)

Tinting isn’t just about appearance. You might as well go to the nearest alleyway shop and get it done for $199 then.

• Funny
Reactions: NJturtlePower
Tinting isn’t just about appearance. You might as well go to the nearest alleyway shop and get it done for $199 then.
No kidding you missed the point.....

My post was pointing out that you're wasting your money double tinting the newer factory tinted glass because its already both functional and cosmetic, blocking nearly as much IR/UV as a top tier ceramic films. Watch the videos 👆

Just had my 2023 X fronts done in 20% ceramic ($200) and windshield done with XPEL XR Plus 70% for $650 which is a great price in the north-east. Many quotes for $800-$1200 for the windshield alone in 1-piece and many shops won't or can't do it. Besides the Lucid its the toughest/largest automotive window on the market.

Attachments

• IMG_0318.jpeg
    IMG_0318.jpeg
    708.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
    752.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0234.jpeg
    IMG_0234.jpeg
    885.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0238.jpeg
    IMG_0238.jpeg
    577.7 KB · Views: 76
Dark tinting when comparing to same type (high quality ceramic 70% compared to 20% for example) is mostly about appearance. Sure, darker does mean more heat rejection but it's not a game changer for a car you can precool.

Agree. I had 70% around the car for years. It was a little warm when the sun was out but not bad. I think people go way overboard with tint all the time. When even 80% tint (in an EV especially where you can precool the car for 5 min before you get in) cuts about 35% of the heat and 99% UV.
This is an important point. When evaluating solar film, look at the Total Solar Heat Rejection (TSER). With the better films, at 80% you'll usually see about 49-50% TSER. As you get darker, the TSER doesn't increase significantly. A 50% film won't have much higher than 60% TSER. But now you've got much less light transmission. That's why I picked 70-80% for my cars. That's about the point where the benefits in TSER don't appreciably increase by going darker.

Check out the chart:
XPEL XR Prime Plus film specs.jpg