Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies that I've ambushed this thread. So I am now powering the carlinkit through the 12v adapter. As I read it, I now dont need an on/off switch. I just set both the T2C wifi and my home wifi to always connect on drive and it 'should' reconnect to the T2C when I open the car and connect back to home wifi when car is locked? However looking at the device through the window when the car is locked, the device power light remains on. Is this the right set up?
I believe there is some amount of time before the car goes to sleep. As long as the car is awake power will remain on to the 12v port. If you stand near the car your phone will keep the car awake. This is the same thing that happens when leaving the T2C on while in the house. If you’re within proximity of the car it will wake or stay awake, and ports become active.

This worked. No more turning on WiFi when I leave my home and it automatically connected to the T2C. 😉

Great. After I tested different scenarios and found this way some months ago - have both Home and T2C WiFi on Tesla set to remain connected when in drive - the T2C has been very solid getting connected and disconnected automatically - exactly as I wanted it. Of course, nothing is 100% and a few times it does not connect automatically but the majority of the time it does.

Great. After I tested different scenarios and found this way some months ago - have both Home and T2C WiFi on Tesla set to remain connected when in drive - the T2C has been very solid getting connected and disconnected automatically - exactly as I wanted it. Of course, nothing is 100% and a few times it does not connect automatically but the majority of the time it does.
How does it behave when you’re home? Which WiFi does it connect to if you leave the T2C powered on? Which takes priority?

How does it behave when you’re home? Which WiFi does it connect to if you leave the T2C powered on? Which takes priority?

Well it depends on the previous state of the car and WiFi connection - meaning - If I am out of the car and the door is closed then the T2C is off (they way I power it) so it will connect automatically to the Home WiFi. When I get in the car the T2C turns on (again, the way I power it) but if I am still within the range of the Home WiFi then even though the T2C is on it stays connected to Home WiFi until I drive off range from the Home WiFi then the T2C takes over. When I come back to the garage it stays connected to the T2C until I exit the car and close the door, then the T2C is turned off and the Home WiFi takes over. So when it connects to Home or T2C it stays connected until it looses the signal to what is connected and then connects to the WiFi that is on. By the way - this is the way I wanted to configured it.

Reactions: jerome8283
Will the sim card in the carlinkit T2C only do data or can it also do voice calls over Carplay?

I requested a duo sim from my cell phone provider and they can send me a second sim card for a car telephone but only one sim card can be active at the same time

I used the T2C SIM solution for around a month when I first bought the T2C some months ago - now I only use the SIM-less solution. At that time, at least two T2C firmware versions ago, I could not use the T2C SIM for voice - it could only use your Phone SIM for voice calls. I am not sure if this has changed with the latest T2C firmware version and now it has an option to use the T2C SIM for voice calls but I do not believe so.

Last edited:
Well it depends on the previous state of the car and WiFi connection - meaning - If I am out of the car and the door is closed then the T2C is off (they way I power it) so it will connect automatically to the Home WiFi. When I get in the car the T2C turns on (again, the way I power it) but if I am still within the range of the Home WiFi then even though the T2C is on it stays connected to Home WiFi until I drive off range from the Home WiFi then the T2C takes over. When I come back to the garage it stays connected to the T2C until I exit the car and close the door, then the T2C is turned off and the Home WiFi takes over. So when it connects to Home or T2C it stays connected until it looses the signal to what is connected and then connects to the WiFi that is on. By the way - this is the way I wanted to configured it.
I will test this. I hadnt actually left the house to see if it would auto connect to the T2C!

So far so good. I came home and parked in my driveway for about 40mins. I went out, jumped in and the car was connected to my home WiFi even though the T2C was powered up. I see no reason the T2C would not connect as I drive away from the house and drop connection to my home WiFi, I did this morning.

I cannot think of another use case to test. I know when I perform any remote management from my phone from my bedroom which is the closet room to my car in the driveway, the car will wake and the T2C will too. A bluetooth connection will be made as well. I don’t believe this is a problem. Thoughts?

If I use my keycard to enter the car will the car wake up or do I need to place the keycard on the center console?

So far so good. I came home and parked in my driveway for about 40mins. I went out, jumped in and the car was connected to my home WiFi even though the T2C was powered up. I see no reason the T2C would not connect as I drive away from the house and drop connection to my home WiFi, I did this morning.

I cannot think of another use case to test. I know when I perform any remote management from my phone from my bedroom which is the closet room to my car in the driveway, the car will wake and the T2C will too. A bluetooth connection will be made as well. I don’t believe this is a problem. Thoughts?

If I use my keycard to enter the car will the car wake up or do I need to place the keycard on the center console?

"I cannot think of another use case to test. I know when I perform any remote management from my phone from my bedroom which is the closet room to my car in the driveway, the car will wake and the T2C will too. A bluetooth connection will be made as well. I don’t believe this is a problem. Thoughts?"

In my case, with my car, once I leave the car and T2C is turned off it does not turn on when I use any remote management (which is what I want to happen since I have the Tesla Premium connectivity and prefer using it rather than the T2C). My garage is far enough from the rest of the house from where I normally roam with my phone that it does not activate the car. It could be that you (your phone) are close enough to the Tesla that it activates the car not because of the remote management but because of phone proximity to your car? Have you tested if it is actually the remote management command or the phone proximity to your Tesla that activate the T2C? Just a thought.

"I cannot think of another use case to test. I know when I perform any remote management from my phone from my bedroom which is the closet room to my car in the driveway, the car will wake and the T2C will too. A bluetooth connection will be made as well. I don’t believe this is a problem. Thoughts?"

In my case, with my car, once I leave the car and T2C is turned off it does not turn on when I use any remote management (which is what I want to happen since I have the Tesla Premium connectivity and prefer using it rather than the T2C). My garage is far enough from the rest of the house from where I normally roam with my phone that it does not activate the car. It could be that you (your phone) are close enough to the Tesla that it activates the car not because of the remote management but because of phone proximity to your car? Have you tested if it is actually the remote management command or the phone proximity to your Tesla that activate the T2C? Just a thought.
This is great. Remote commands via the app must all occur via bluetooth then so I should be ok.

I think Remote commands can also be sent via the WiFi and LTE networks since I can use Remote commands even when I am very far away from the car and out of range of the Bluetooth.
You’re right. Not sure what I was thinking. I just tested from my bedroom. When I launch the app, the T2C did power up because CarPlay connected as well as BT to Auotkit. Perhaps it’s a proximity thing?

You’re right. Not sure what I was thinking. I just tested from my bedroom. When I launch the app, the T2C did power up because CarPlay connected as well as BT to Auotkit. Perhaps it’s a proximity thing?

Try sending a Remote command from far away when the T2C is off and there is no Bluetooth connectivity to see if the Remote Command sent from WiFi or Cellular wakes up the T2C.

Reactions: jerome8283