Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transition from Android Auto/Carplay to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I'm likely going to order a Model Y within the next week but the biggest question I still have is how to get as much benefit from the Tesla interface as I currently can from Android Auto, or Apple Carplay in my wife's case. From what I can tell the UI has several apps installed on it.

1. Is there an official list of all apps currently installed on Teslas?
  2. Does Tesla have something like an app store for additional apps?
  3. If I have a login for something like Spotify and my wife has her own login is there a way to rapidly switch between our saved logins, or would we have to login as the other person whenever we want to switch?
  4. With Android Auto. I love that if I have a calendar event saved with an address, I can click on the event and set it as the destination. Is there any way to get that functionality?

Only 4 is possible by syncing your calendar with Tesla.
Right now Tesla doesn't have app store but they might bring it looking at some of the hidden code. I am using Tesaa android app which projects android auto on Tesla screen. It's pretty good but phone will consume a lot of battery.

3. If I have a login for something like Spotify and my wife has her own login is there a way to rapidly switch between our saved logins, or would we have to login as the other person whenever we want to switch?
  4. With Android Auto. I love that if I have a calendar event saved with an address, I can click on the event and set it as the destination. Is there any way to get that functionality?
No official list that I’m aware of.

No App Store available yet or any official plans to launch one soon.

Music accounts are paired to driver profiles. So when you drive the car with your profile it will log into your Spotify, when your wife drives, it will go to her profile. Easy to switch, easy to set up, ultimately nothing you need to worry about.

Your phone still syncs with the car so your calendar events for today and tomorrow show up on the screen. If an even is scheduled in your calendar for the next hour, the car will see that and automatically route you to that destination. You don’t even have to tap anything. Super easy. Your phone calls, and text messages also sync to the car and you can reply using voice commands and the steering wheel.

The only real things you’ll be missing out on are third party navigation apps. The premium connectivity package required to stream using the built in music apps unless you start the hotspot on your phone everytime.

Music accounts are paired to driver profiles. So when you drive the car with your profile it will log into your Spotify, when your wife drives, it will go to her profile. Easy to switch, easy to set up, ultimately nothing you need to worry about.

Your phone still syncs with the car so your calendar events for today and tomorrow show up on the screen.
@UsernamesRHard Thanks a lot for those details. That helps alots! This basically means that as long as I can get the media I'm interested in from Spotify or Apple music I should be able to get most of the functionality that I value from using Android Auto.

I'll have to transition my podcast listening from PocketCasts over to Spotify but that shouldn't be an issue.

Does anyone know how the Tesla would deal with both phones are in the car? For example, if my wife get into the passenger seat first and then I get into the driver seat, will the Tesla ask which driver profile to use?

The car will default to whichever phone it picks up first, it won’t ask you anything. You can however tell it to prefer one device over another when it detects both nearby. Even if it picks the wrong profile to start, you can quickly switch driver profiles with two taps from any screen on the display. The profile quick switcher is always accessible.

Keep in mind you need a Spotify premium account in order to login on the Tesla display. A free Spotify account does not work. Right now I just Bluetooth my podcasts from Apple Podcasts since I use Apple Music.

Tidal, Slacker, and TuneIn are all also available for use in the Tesla.

IMG_2730.jpeg

Here is a list of all the music streaming options. You can see the driver Profile At the top where my thumb is. All you need to do to change profiles is tap it and then tap the profile you want.

Reactions: honor_the_driv
Awesome!. Thanks @UsernamesRHard.

Something so does that mean that if you play music from the Apply music App its using the car's data connection? If so, I'm guess that means you need a Premium Connectivity trial/subscription.

Do you also need Premium Connectivity in order to have traffic on the Tesla Map? What about to do somethgn like turn on the AC remotely?

Awesome!. Thanks @UsernamesRHard.

Something so does that mean that if you play music from the Apply music App its using the car's data connection? If so, I'm guess that means you need a Premium Connectivity trial/subscription.

Do you also need Premium Connectivity in order to have traffic on the Tesla Map? What about to do somethgn like turn on the AC remotely?
Here is what included in premium connectivity:

You do need premium connectivity to use the audio apps, the web browser, get satellite map views, and traffic visualization. The navigation will route around traffic without it but you won't' see the traffic on the screen.

Some people use their phone as a wifi hot spot to get some of these features without paying for premium connectivity.

Most of the features in the app, like turning on AC remotely, are available without premium connectivity. You will miss out on getting video from the car cameras on your app and you may miss out on satellite view in the map in the app.

I think you still get one month free of premium connectivity. Give it a try. Then see what it's like without it after it expires and then you can make an informed decision.

My biggest issue with changing over has been podcasts; the Google podcast app isn't supported so I have to stream over bluetooth if I want to listen to one. But then, I actually listen to music in the car now too (I never did before, just podcasts) so it's not a big problem. I just save the podcasts for walking/rucking/yardwork.

One thing I did was to bookmark the NWS weather radar on the in-car browser so I can pull that up easilyb that's something I couldn't do on AA.

Hi all. I'm likely going to order a Model Y within the next week but the biggest question I still have is how to get as much benefit from the Tesla interface as I currently can from Android Auto, or Apple Carplay in my wife's case. From what I can tell the UI has several apps installed on it.

if you use android auto, google “tesla android project”. It does CarPlay and android auto in the center console. Currently only wired android auto but soon wireless. For CarPlay it does wired & wireless. I use it for CarPlay and love it since tesla infotainment can’t compare to the tight integration of these eco systems + voice control that AA & CarPlay have due to google assistant & Siri.
for road trips you can still use tesla nav and use CarPlay / AA for music, podcasts, texts, phone calls etc. I just did this over the weekend since I had a lot of supercharging. Basically you can have your cake and eat it too 🤣👍.
If you don’t want such a large CarPlay screen, there are other devices that fit behind the steering wheel. I got one before tesla android. if you don’t have a yoke steering wheel (oem or third party) it can be hard to see screen and use gui.

That's disappointing. Has Tesla ever made any statements about if they would consider adding Android Auto and Carplay support in the future?
Since Apple has announced they will be selling EVs to compete with Tesla, it is very, very unlikely that Tesla would allow a direct competitor, Apple, to control the screen in the car.

Not sure how it works with Android Auto. Volvo and Polestar use a version of it for their car UI, but Google owns what is on the screen. Tesla wouldn't, and shouldn't, allow that.